For the longest time, we have taken our immunity for granted, but as we all know, we cannot continue to live like that anymore. Negligence towards health and basic hygiene practice could lead to colossal losses. At this point, bolstering our immunity should be our priority. You would be surprised to know that there are a number of natural ways to go about it. Our kitchen is brimming with ingredients that could do wonders for our immunity and keep risk of cold, cough and flu at bay.
Here are a few of our most beloved desi drinks that have also been some of the most trusted home remedies for flu-like symptoms.
1. Haldi Doodh: The golden milk, made with a pinch of turmeric added in a glassful of hot milk, has been one of India's most treasured secrets for good health. Turmeric's active component curcumin has anti-inflammatory components that help alleviate discomfort that comes with cold - its high antioxidant levels help rev up immunity naturally.
(Also Read: Haldi Is Healthy: 4 Incredible Turmeric-Based Drinks You Must Try)
2. Amla Juice: Amla (or Indian gooseberry) reportedly contains 20 times more vitamin C than common citrus fruits like oranges. Vitamin C, as we all know, helps fight free radical activity and keeps us immune from common diseases. Amla's characteristic bitter taste could make it a little unpopular with fussy-eaters. You can add a spoonful of honey in your amla juice to make it more palatable.
(Also Read: Boost Your Immunity With This Quick 3-Ingredient Amla Juice To Fight Cold And Flu)
3. Karela Juice: The bitter gourd (or Karela) has a mixed fan base owing to its signature bitter-pungent taste, but what cannot be denied is that fact that the vegetable is replete with antioxidants and minerals that could help you strengthen from within and fight disease causing pathogens.
(Also Read: How To Make Karela Juice: Easy Tips To Make The Healthful Beverage)
4. Kadha: Kadha is a decoction of many spices such as cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, bayleaf, cumin, turmeric etc. Spices are more than just flavouring agents, and who knows it better than us. A humble Kadha is one of India's best-kept secret for immunity and so much more.
(Also Read: Kadha For Cold: This Concoction Is Prepared Using Desi Spices))
5. Adrak Ki Chai: According to the book 'Healing Foods' by DK Publishing, ginger's "volatile oils have anti-inflammatory properties similar to those of NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), which makes it an excellent remedy for flu, headaches and menstrual pains. It can also lower medication intake in osteoarthritis." Tea is also loaded with antioxidants. However, it advised to practice moderation, as a lot of caffeine may do harm.
(Also Read: 4 Reasons Why Indians are obsessed with Adrak Wali Chai)
Try these drinks at home, but make sure you do not skip any prescribed medicine that you are on.
(This content including advice provides generic information only. It is in no way a substitute for qualified medical opinion. Always consult a specialist or your own doctor for more information. NDTV does not claim responsibility for this information.)