When was the last time you tasted authentic butterscotch? Everything in the food world is evolving, much like chocolate and coffee, except for butterscotch. This buttery-sweet, golden-brown confection mixed with honey used to rule the dessert world in the past. We all have enjoyed many butterscotch dishes as kids, like butterscotch pudding, sauce, syrup, cream pie, candies, et al. However, now, finding a slice of butterscotch pie in a dessert menu or even those divine butterscotch candies in supermarkets is a task, which is baffling because its other counterparts have made great comebacks. Did you know that caramel is the new love of pastry chefs and arty candy makers? Even toffee, vanilla and coffee have been allowed to shine again. But, butterscotch? No one has asked her to the dance yet. You will find many artificially-flavoured butterscotch cookies, candies and drinks, but we believe that once you learn how easy it is to make butterscotch, you will never go back to the impostor. So, here's for all the butterscotch lovers; we give an easy recipe for how to make butterscotch at home.
(Also Read: How To Make Restaurant-Style Waffles At Home)
Learn How To Make Butterscotch At Home
This is an easy recipe for making butterscotch at home. Many people have documented that 'buttery toffee' is known as butterscotch. However, historically, butterscotch is a hard candy made with natural (unprocessed) sugar. Moreover, the suffix "scotch" means "to cut." When sugar or candy is hot, it is difficult to get a clean break, so one must cut it while warm to get a clean edge later.
- 3/4 to 1 cup (150 to 200 grams) sugar
- 1.5 tablespoon (18 grams) butter
- 1/2 tablespoon cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
How To Make Butterscotch:
Step 1: Take a pot and put sugar into it.
Step 2: Add water to sugar, enough to cover it completely.
Step 3: Now, turn the stove top onto high till the water starts to boil.
Step 4: Make sure you continuously stir the sugar to keep it from sticking to the bottom and turning into toffee.
Step 5: Now, while stirring, add water until the mixture turns into a brown syrupy mixture.
Step 6: Remove the pot from heat.
Step 7: Now, add butter to the syrup and stir it well. Add cream and vanilla to the syrup and mix well again.
Step 8: Put the pot back onto the stove and heat it at 270-290 degrees F (132-143 degrees C). You can use a thermometer to check the temperature. Make sure you don't heat it too much, as heating it for too long will turn it into toffee.
Step 9: Now, what you should have is a concentration of about 95% sugar.
Step 10: Keep heating until it is thick fluid.
Step 11: Now, pour this thick fluid into a bowl or container. Make sure you still continue to stir it, or else it will thicken and become a toffee-like substance.
Step 12: Let the butterscotch cool. Your homemade butterscotch is ready to be savoured. You can break or crush it and add it in your pudding, cookie, ice-cream or milk shake.
Four Amazing Butterscotch Dessert Recipes:
Pastry Chef Janmejay Sachedeva has laid down these amazing butterscotch dessert recipes that you can easily prepare at home:
(Also Read: 7 Easy Homemade Ice Cream Recipes)
- 50 ml cream
- 100 ml milk
- 20 grams sugar
- 15 grams butterscotch paste
- 5 grams gelatin
- 25 ml water
- In a saucepan, boil cream, milk, sugar and butterscotch paste. Strain the mixture in a bowl.
- Now, take gelatin and soak it in water and boil it till it is completely melted.
- Take the melted gelatin and add it to the mixture.
- Now, set the mixture in a silicon cupcake mould and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- Once it's done, demould and serve with butterscotch sauce.
(Also Read: Chocolate Fudge Cookies Recipe)
- 100 grams butter
- 50 grams sugar
- 150 grams flour
- 20 ml milk
- 15 grams butterscotch
- Take a large bowl and mix butter and sugar in it.
- Now, add flour, milk and butterscotch to it and mix them well to make soft dough.
- Refrigerate it for 20 minutes.
- To make cookies, roll the dough thin and cut it in desired shapes.
- Finally, bake the cookies at 160 degree C for 15 minutes.
(Also Read: Mocha Cashew Butter Recipe)
- 100 grams yogurt
- 20 grams flaxseed
- 2 bananas
- 20 grams butterscotch
- 10 grams honey
- Blend all the ingredients together in a blender to make a smoothie.
- Pour in a smoothie cup and decorate with caramelised banana. Serve chilled.
Butterscotch And Coconut Laddoo
(Also Read: Coconut Ladoo Recipe)
- 150 grams desiccated coconut
- 50 grams crushed butterscotch
- 100 grams roasted chopped almond
- 20 grams honey
- 20 grams jaggery
- Take a bowl and mix coconut, crushed butterscotch and almonds in it.
- Now, take a saucepan and melt jaggery with honey.
- Take the mixture and add it to the ingredients and mix well.
- Shape them into small/medium ladoos. Serve or store them in an air-tight container.
Now, that you know some interesting butterscotch dessert recipes, go wear your chef's hat and impress your friends with your culinary skills.
About Shubham BhatnagarYou can often find Shubham at a small authentic Chinese or Italian restaurant sampling exotic foods and sipping a glass of wine, but he will wolf down a plate of piping hot samosas with equal gusto. However, his love for homemade food trumps all.