Nothing compares to the satisfaction of starting your day with a wholesome breakfast. While it may be tempting to indulge in mouth-watering dishes like pancakes, waffles, paratha, breads, chole bhature and more - they are not the best options if you're planning to start your day on a healthy note. If you're someone who loves all things healthy and nutritious in the morning, then what better than a comforting South Indian-style breakfast? South Indian food is known for its homely and flavourful dishes. One such loved breakfast dish is the humble upma. It is made by simmering roasted rava in tempered and spiced boiling water. However, if you do not have enough upma stocked up in your kitchen, fret not. Did you know you could use bread slices instead of upma and it would taste equally delicious?
The best part about this recipe is that it is made using a blend of flavourful masalas and will be ready in just under 30 minutes. This recipe has been shared by Chef Ranveer Brar. Find the full recipe below.
Masala Bread Upma Recipe: How To Make Masala Bread Upma
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 1 tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tbsp Gota Urad
- 1 tbsp Chana Dal
- 1 sprig Curry Leaves
- 1 inch Ginger - chopped
- 2-3 fresh Green or Red Chillies - chopped
- 2 medium Onions - chopped
- 2 medium Tomatoes - chopped
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1/2 tsp Degi Red Chilli Powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp Curd
- 3/4 cup Water
- Salt to taste
- 9-10 toasted Bread Slices - diced
- Fresh Coriander Leaves - roughly torn
For Fried Nuts
- 1 heaped tbsp Ghee
- 10-12 Cashew Nuts
- 2 heaped tbsp Peanuts
- Fried Cashew Nuts & Peanuts
- Fresh Coriander Leaves
- In a kadai, heat oil and add mustard seeds, gota urad, chana dal and let them crackle.
- Now, add curry leaves, ginger, green or red chillies, onion and saute until translucent. Then add tomatoes and cook until they are soft.
- Add the turmeric powder, degi red chilli powder, curd and saute on medium heat for a minute.
- Now, add water, salt and bring it to a boil then add the roasted bread slices. Cover it with a lid and let it cook for half a minute then toss it properly until everything is coated completely.
- Finish it with fresh coriander leaves and mix everything one last time and serve hot on a serving plate and garnish with fried cashew nuts and peanuts, fresh coriander leaves.
- For Fried Nuts: In a small pan, heat ghee, then add cashew nuts and peanuts. Fry them until light golden. Then remove and keep aside for further use.
Watch the full making of masala bread upma recipe here:
Try out this yummy masala bread upma recipe yourself, and let us know how you liked its taste!