The tannic acid in tea will shrink swelling around the eye
Fennel seeds contain a carminative compound that disperses gas
Have some flaxseeds with warm water to relieve constipation
If you ever have a conversation with your grand mother, she'll tell you that back in the day they mostly relied on natural home remedies to treat almost every ailment. A lot may have changed now, but granny's treasure trove of home remedies is still as effective as it used to be. Time to go back to your roots and rediscover all the gems on your kitchen shelf that have innumerable health benefits. Nature offers the best medicines for most ailments, all we have to do is look closely and remember the goodness of some commonly available ingredients. The best part of using home remedies is that they are far away from the usual side effects that may occur with the use of chemical-based products. So if you happen to suffer from cold, back pain, nausea and other common ailments every now and then, fret not, we've got you covered.
Let's look at few home remedies that can help everyday problems that we may face:
1. Diarrhea: Boil brown or white rice in twice the amount of water you would normally use, then strain. Once the water is cool, drink it. This water contains electrolytes that help ease diarrhea.
2. Back Pain: White willow is considered as a natural alternative to Aspirin because it contains salicin, a pain reliving component.
3. Gout: Cherries contain compounds that block uric acid and calm inflammation. I advise people suffering from gout to eat a bowl of cherries daily.
4. Sty: Moisten black tea with warm or cold water, and apply on your eyelid. The tannic acid in tea will shrink swelling around the eye.
The tannic acid in tea will shrink swelling around the eye. Photo Credit: Istock.
5. Osteoarthritis: Studies show that curcumin found in turmeric is extremely effective to reduce joint pain and swelling in people with osteoarthritis
6. Hot flashes: Studies show that sage reduces the frequency of hot flashes. Make a tea of fresh or dried sage, strain cool and drink.
7. Muscle cramps: Athletes can prevent muscle cramps by drinking lime juice with black salt as a electrolyte imbalance sparks muscle cramps, and the juice helps to restore sodium potassium with a boost of Vitamin C.
8. Gas:Fennel seeds contain a carminative compound that disperses gas from the intestinal tract. Chew and swallow half a tea spoon of seeds at the end of meals.
19.Dandruff: Lemon grass oil contains high levels of anti- microbial compounds called Geranol that fights fungus that causes dandruff. This magical treatment can be used just twice to see results.
The next time you need a cure for any of these ailments, turn to nature and try these home remedies. However, if you are suffering from a serious medical condition you must consult a doctor too.
About the Author
Shilpa Arora ND is a renowned Health Practitioner, Nutritionist and certified Macrobiotic Health Coach. She has to her credit Doctorate in Natural Medicine. She is currently based in Delhi NCR region, successfully running her Nutrition Studio with individual consultations, offering life style programs supported by the most up-to-date clinical research.
CommentsThe opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.