There’s no escaping that time of the month for women. However quite unfortunately, the essential biological process is often hushed amongst other pivotal concerns of the society. Discussing menstruation is such a taboo, that a significant chunk of girls are not even aware of menstruation, when they hit their first period, often leading to a barrage of confusion and anxiety in the young mind about the basic biological transformation happening in her body. Periods could be really painful for some, bringing along with it severe cramps, back pain, bloating, etc. It is definitely not the best time, also for the hormones being very unpredictable. The ovaries, which are present in the lower part of women’s abdomen, start to produce hormones in girls around puberty which cause changes to the lining of the uterus. Every month during periods, the lining of the womb is shed along with some blood. The length of menstrual cycle (the time between the start of one period and the start of the next) is usually 28 days; if it exceeds a week then it can be problematic. As then comes the issue of irregular periods. However, there are many home remedies for irregular periods that one can follow.Irregular period is medically known as oligomenorrhea, which is a common issue in women. Many factors can cause this problem, such as eating disorders, weight loss or gain, anemia, menopause, thyroid disorders, hormonal imbalance, liver disease, tuberculosis, miscarriage, and other health conditions. Lifestyle triggers like increased exercise, smoking, alcohol abuse, caffeine, travel, stress, and certain medications and birth control pills can also contribute to this problem. Irregular periods are common at the time of menopause.
Here are some home remedies which can help you with irregular periods
(Also Read: 8 Amazing Benefits of Papaya for Health and Skin
1. Unripe PapayaGreen, unripe papaya is considered useful in regulating menstrual flow as it helps contract muscle fibers in the uterus. Consume unripe papaya juice regularly for a few months but do not drink it during your periods.
Green, unripe papaya is considered useful in regulating menstrual flow
2. TurmericTurmeric is considered to be one of the best medicated herbs which is quite warming as well. It is helpful in regulating menstruation and balancing hormones. The antispasmodic and anti-inflammatory properties relieve menstrual pain. Consume one-quarter teaspoon of turmeric with milk, honey or jaggery. Take it daily for several weeks or until you see improvement.(Also Read:8 Health Benefits of Turmeric: Getting Back to the Roots)
Turmeric is considered to be one of the best medicated herbs which is quite warming
3. Aloe VeraDo not use this remedy during your periods. Aloe vera helps treat menstrual irregularities naturally by regulating your hormones. To get the best results, extract fresh aloe vera gel from an aloe leaf, mix in one teaspoon of honey and consume it daily before having your breakfast.(Also Read:7 Reasons to Drink Aloe Vera Juice Everyday)
4. Practice Yoga and MeditationStress is one of the primary causes of hormonal imbalance in the body that triggers irregularities in menstruation. Yoga and meditation helps in relieving stress. Meditation can ensure perfect hormonal balance in the body. These two are the most effective methods for controlling irregular periods without medicines.(Also Read:3 Simple Yoga Poses After Dinner That Can Boost Digestion)
Stress is one of the primary causes of hormonal imbalance in the body
5. GingerBoil 1 tbsp of fresh ginger for 5 minutes. Add little sugar and drink the mixture three times a day after your meals. Ginger is highly recommended for regulating menstrual cycles and getting rid of irregular periods.(Also Read:Benefits of Ginger and It's Powerful Healing Properties)
Ginger is highly recommended for regulating menstrual cycles
6. CuminCumin is loaded with a number of health benefits. Soaked cumin can be used in the treatment of irregular period. Take 2 spoons of cumin seeds and soak in water over night and drink both in the morning. You need to drink this water every day to get your periods regularised.(Also Read:15 Incredible Benefits of Jeera Water for Your Skin, Hair and Health)
Cumin is loaded with a number of health benefits
7. CinnamonCinnamon not only helps enhancing taste of your dishes but significantly contributes in regulating your menstrual cycle too. It provides a warming effect within your body. Take a glass full of warm milk and add a teaspoon of powdered cinnamon and drink it. It is even effective in eradicating menstrual cramps.(Also Read:A Spice that Cures: 5 Great Benefits of Cinnamon)
Cinnamon provides a warming effect within your body
Note: It’s better to consult a doctor, if your periods are often irregular.
The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.