During the period of global lockdown, it was all about the basics. We experimented with simple ingredients available in our kitchen. Whether it was the Dalgona coffee or the banana bread - these viral recipes involved using some of the basic kitchen essentials. Reddit's 2020 year in review also captured these very simple recipes that were a hit across the world. Peanut butter bread, carrot cake and lemon bars were some of the wonderful recipes that were a hit on the sub-Reddit r/old_recipes featured. Another simple cake recipe that has become Reddit's favourite is the Armenian Perok cake. Take a look at some Reddit posts about it:
I've been baking our old family recipes during quarantine. This is an Armenian perok cake with apricot jam. from r/Old_Recipes
First post + first recipe from r/Old_Recipes. I'm completely hooked! Perok cake with apricot preserves???? from r/Old_Recipes
I tried the Armenian perok cake. My BF declared it "cake of the year" even though it's only April. Thanks for sharing OP, it was a delight! from r/Old_Recipes
The original Reddit post was shared by user u/flyGERTIfly in the sub-Reddit r/old_recipes where it received over 2.3k upvotes. She wrote in her post about how she had been baking old family recipes while in the lockdown period when she stumbled upon the Armenian Perok cake recipe. Several users wrote to her, saying they tried the Perok cake recipe and absolutely loved it!
The Armenian Perok cake has a buttery cake base topped with Apricot jam and a crisscross dough on the top. Baking the Armenian Perok Cake is quite easy and the recipe only requires a handful of simple ingredients which are easily available in the kitchen. The wholesome cake is a crossover between a cake and a pie. Reddit users found the recipe extremely comforting and delicious to make in the lockdown period.
Here Is The Full Recipe For Armenian Perok Cake By Reddit User:
- 2 sticks of softened butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 cup sour cream (or yogurt)
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- Half tsp salt
- 1 cup Apricot Jam
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit or 180 degrees Celsius. Start by creaming butter and sugar together. Mix until sugar is properly dissolved.
- Now, mix in the egg yolk, whole egg, vanilla and sour cream. You can also use yogurt in place of cream.
- Once this mixture is properly blended, sift in the dry ingredients - flour, baking powder and salt. This will make a thick cake batter, almost like a cookie dough consistency.
- Separate a handful of batter and add more flour to it for the crisscross top.
- Grease a baking tray and add the remaining batter to it. Top it up with a cup of Apricot Jam. You can also use any other fruit Jam in place of it.
- Take the separated batter and roll it and cut it to make thin strips for the top. Lay them on top of the cake and brush leftover egg whites to make it shiny.
- Bake for 50 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius or until the top layer is golden.
So, what are you waiting for? Try this viral Reddit recipe for Armenian Perok cake and see for yourself!
About Aditi AhujaAditi loves talking to and meeting like-minded foodies (especially the kind who like veg momos). Plus points if you get her bad jokes and sitcom references, or if you recommend a new place to eat at.