How To Make Chicken Reshmi Biryani
About Chicken Reshmi Biryani Recipe | Biryani Recipe: Biryani is derived from the word “biryan” and has its root in Persia, the dish is known to origin in India during Mughal dynasty and was invented to feed the huge mughal armies during the war times. And as the emperors shifted conquering regions after regions, the flavour of Biryani began to travel and transform, incorporating the local flavours and that is how we have so many regional versions of biryanis in India today. A delicious example of which is this mouth-watering Chicken Reshmi Biryani. A single pot dish of chicken and rice flavoured with a burst of chillies mingling with the aroma of varied spices.Ingredients of Chicken Reshmi Biryani
: Basmati rice cooked with aromatic spices.
Ingredients of Chicken Reshmi Biryani
- 1 Kg chicken (broiler, cut into 8 pieces)
- 1 kg inions (uniformly), sliced
- Oil (for frying)
- 1 cup hara dhania (coriander leaves), finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp dhania (coriander seeds), powdered
- 1/2 tsp haldi (turmeric)
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1 cup dahi (yogurt)
- 1 tbsp salt
- For the Rice:
- 2 cups basmati (long grained rice)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Dough (to seal the pan)
How to Make Chicken Reshmi Biryani
- 1.Heat enough oil in a heavy based broad pan or kadhai that will take in the onions comfortably (the onions should be covered with the oil) and fry the onions in it till brown and crisp.
- 2.Strain the onions and the oil into a strainer, and keep aside.
- 3.Marinate the chicken in the garlic ginger paste, dhania , haldi, chilli powder, garam masala, yogurt and salt, for 3-4 hours at least.
- 4.'Almost' cook the rice in water to which salt has been added-- Bring water to a boil, add the rice and salt, cook till the rice is almost cooked (takes about 8 minutes). Drain the rice and keep aside.
- 5.Heat 1/2 cup of the remainder of the oil in a large heavy based pan with a lid and add the chicken to it, spreading it to form a layer.
- 6.Over the chicken, make a layer of each, half of the rice, onions and coriander leaves.
- 7.Repeat the same layers a second time and cover the pan, sealing it with some dough (grease the edges before applying the dough, so that the dough comes off easily later on).
- 8.Let it cook on high heat for 10 minutes, then place on a tawa (griddle) and leave on low heat to cook for about an hour. Alternatively, you could cook it in a moderate oven for an hour.
- 9.Break the seal and serve either in the same pan or transfer on to a serving dish.
Read about the best biryani recipes that you can try at home for special occasions and dinner parties.
Also know the different and unique rice recipes that can be easily cooked at home.
The recipe video uses a different quantity of ingredients for representation. You can alter the quantity as per your need.
Key Ingredients: chicken (broiler, cut into 8 pieces), inions (uniformly), Oil (for frying), hara dhania (coriander leaves), garlic paste, ginger paste, dhania (coriander seeds), haldi (turmeric), chilli powder, garam masala, dahi (yogurt), salt, basmati (long grained rice), salt , Water, Dough (to seal the pan)