How to make Sarson Ka Saag Aur Makki Ki Roti
About Sarson Ka Saag Aur Makki Ki Roti Recipe: The classic Punjabi dish: Sarsoon da saag te makki di roti. Best had with some white butter, jaggery or honey.This winter special combination of meal makes everyone drool in winters. As a traditional punjabi dish, saag means green and sarso means mustard.Ingredients of Sarson Ka Saag Aur Makki Ki Roti
: Along with a steaming hot makki roti and a dollop of butter or ghee this recipe is a yummy and lip smacking treat in winters. A mix of palak, bathua and sarson, pressure cooked and prepared in a host of spices, makes this a healthy winter treat. You can serve gud or jaggery as an accompaniment along with this dish.
Ingredients of Sarson Ka Saag Aur Makki Ki Roti
- For Saag:
- 750 gms sarson saag
- 250 gms palak saag
- 250 gms bathua saag
- 2 cups water with a pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 cup makki atta
- 4 Green chilli
- 25 gms ginger
- 2 Onions
- 6 Garlic cloves
- 100 gms ghee
- 1/2 tsp red pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 1/2 tsp coriander powder
- For Makki ki Roti:
- 1/2 kg makki Atta
- Water (for kneading)
- Ghee (for frying)
How to Make Sarson Ka Saag Aur Makki Ki Roti
- Prepare the Saag:
- 1.Add the three saags, salt and water into pressure cooker & cook over low heat for 1 1/2 hours.
- 2.Squeeze out saag and keep saag water aside. Mash saag in the cooker until coarsely ground, and add makki atta and stir.
- 3.Put back saag water and a little fresh water & boil over slow fire.
- 4.Add green chillies & ginger & cook till saag gets thick.
- 5.For tadka, add chopped onions, ginger, garlic, red pepper powder; garam masala, dhania & saute until onions are light brown.
- 6.Mix into saag & garnish with julienne of ginger fried in ghee.
- Prepare Makki ki Roti:
- 1.Knead the makki atta until it becomes a ball, add atta to dry it & knead.
- 2.Heat the tava and add a little ghee so that it does not stick.
- 3.Make round shapes of makki roti on chakla & carefully transfer to the tava.
- 4.Cook with ghee till golden brown.
- 5.Serve with hot sarson da saag and gur and white butter.
Calories: 3883 Kcal 0Calcium: 1868 MgIron: 153 MgSodium: 159 Mg
Key Ingredients: sarson saag, palak saag, bathua saag, water with a pinch of salt, makki atta, Green chilli, ginger, Onions, Garlic cloves, ghee, red pepper powder, garam masala, coriander powder, makki Atta, Water (for kneading), Ghee (for frying)