Schezwan Chicken Recipe
How to make Schezwan Chicken
Five spice coated boneless pieces of chicken stir fried with onions, ginger, garlic and chillies. Served with steamed rice.
- Total Cook Time1 hr
- Prep Time 15 mins
- Cook Time 45 mins
- Recipe Servings4
Ingredients of Schezwan Chicken
- 1/2 kg boneless chicken breasts
- 4 Tbsp corn flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp five spice powder
- 75 ml oil
- 7-8 dried red chillies
- 2 tsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 6 spring onions - cut into 1' lengths
- For the sauce:
- 100 ml chicken stock
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 Tbsp soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 Tbsp Chinese wine/rum
- 1/4 tsp five spice powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp of corn flour - in 1 Tbsp stock/ water
How to Make Schezwan ChickenHideShow Media
Coat chicken in corn flour, salt and five-spice powder. Brush off excess.
Stir-fry the chicken until lightly colored. Remove from pan.
Pour off all but 3 Tbsp of oil.
Add chillies, garlic and ginger.
Cook for 30 seconds before adding onions and all the sauce ingredients.
Bring to a boil, return chicken to pan, heat through.
Serve with steamed rice.