About Spanakopita Recipe: Greek cuisine has been marinated in thousands of years of history and tradition. Greek ambassador's wife, Athena Economides cooks up an authentic spinach pie called Spanakopita.
Ingredients of Spanakopita
- 16 Filo/Phyllo sheets (phyllo dough are paper-thin sheets of unleavened flour dough used for making pastries)
- 6-7 Cups Spinach mixture
- 1 Cup Olive oil and salt pepper
- For Spinach mixture:
- 1 Kg Spinach
- 1 Onion, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Spring onions , chopped
- 1/2 Cup Dill, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Parsley , chopped
- 1/2 Cup Evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 Cup Feta cheese (crumbled)
- 5 Eggs
- To taste Salt and pepper
- 3/4 Cup Soda water
How to Make Spanakopita
- For Spinach Mixture:
- 1.Wash the spinach, add salt and then drain out the excess water.
- 2.Take a pan and saute onions till golden.
- 3.Add spring onions, spinach, dill, parsley and cook for few minutes.
- 4.Take the mixture off the heat and add evaporated milk.
- 5.In a separate bowl, beat the eggs with cheese.
- 6.Season with the salt and pepper and add to the spinach mixture.
- 7.Mix well and keep aside.
- 8.Optional: The mixture can be prepared without pre-cooking. The baking time however increases in the final preparation.
- 9.Line a pan with eight sheets of phyllo, brushing each sheet with the olive oil before topping it with the next sheet.
- 10.Now spread the spinach mixture evenly. Lay the remaining phyllo on top and then cut into diamond size serving pieces.
- 11.Bake it for 30-40 minutes in a pre-heated oven.
- 12.After around 15 minutes of baking, take it out and pour over it 3/4th cup of soda water. This will give it a very nice rise.
- 13.Then put it back in and let it bake for the rest of the time.
Key Ingredients: Filo/Phyllo sheets (phyllo dough are paper-thin sheets of unleavened flour dough used for making pastries), Spinach mixture, Olive oil and salt pepper, Spinach, Onion, Spring onions , Dill, Parsley , Evaporated milk, Feta cheese (crumbled), Eggs, Salt and pepper, Soda water