How to make Tapioca Dumplings
About Tapioca Dumplings Recipe: Packed with a chunky chicken mix, wrapped in a dough of tapioca pearls and flour, these dumplings make for a perfect entree. Also gluten free snack.
Ingredients of Tapioca Dumplings
- Paste for chicken:
- 1/2 tsp peppercorns
- 3-4 Garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1/2 cup minced shallots
- 250 gms minced chicken
- 1/2 cup peanuts, roasted
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- Tapioca casing:
- 1 cup tapioca pearls (sabudana)
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 75 ml boiling water
- Spinach casing:
- Spinach leaves
- Black sesame seeds
- Garlic oil
How to Make Tapioca Dumplings
- Prepare the filling:
- 1.In a mortar and pestle, grind the peppercorns, coriander, garlic and salt and form a paste.
- 2.In a pan, heat oil, fry the paste for about a minute.
- 3.Then on high heat, add the onions and the chicken, and stir-fry till it's all crumbly.
- 4.Add the peanuts, brown sugar. Give it a quick stir so that the sugar caramelizes.
- 5.Add the fish sauce and mix well.
- 6.Stir for a few minutes more and take off the heat.
- Prepare the wrapping:
- 1.For the tapioca shell, mix the tapioca pearls and tapioca flour in boiling water, while stirring constantly. Knead the dough a bit but very gently, do not mash the pearls. It will be sticky and allow it to cool.
- 2.Dip your fingers in a bowl of cold water. Take a pinch of the tapioca dough, roll into a ball.
- 3.Then flatten it and fill it with the chicken filling.
- 4.Steam the dumplings.
- 5.Optional - you can drizzle a bit of garlic oil on top or black sesame seeds. Also instead of the tapioca covering you can use spinach leaves to wrap the filling.
Key Ingredients: peppercorns, Garlic cloves, fresh coriander, salt, oil, minced shallots, minced chicken, peanuts, brown sugar, fish sauce, tapioca pearls (sabudana), tapioca flour, boiling water, Spinach leaves, Black sesame seeds, Garlic oil