Vegetarian Dhansak Recipe
How to make Vegetarian Dhansak
An authentic Parsi recipe which is a medley of garden fresh vegetables and lentils. It is usually made with mutton but this vegetarian version tastes as good!
- Total Cook Time 50 mins
- Prep Time 20 mins
- Cook Time 30 mins
- Recipe Servings4
Ingredients of Vegetarian Dhansak
- 1/2 cup yellow lentils (arhar/tuvar daal)
- 3 Tbsp each, split and husked Bengal Gram (chana daal)
- 3 Tbsp split and husked Green Gram (dhuli moong daal)
- 3 Tbsp split and husked Egyptian Lentils (dhuli masoor daal)
- 60 gm pumpkin-peeled and diced (about 1/2 cup)
- 60 gm egg plant/baingan-diced
- 1 cup fenugreek leaves (methi)-washed and chopped
- 1 large (125 gm) potato-peeled and diced
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 Tbsp salt
- 1/4 cup (60 gm) oil
- 1 cup grated onions (250 gm)
- 2 tsp ginger paste (2 tbsp chopped)
- 1 cup grated tomatoes (250 gm)
- 3 Tbsp Dhansak masala
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
How to Make Vegetarian DhansakHideShow Media
For the dal mixture:
Cook the dals with pumpkin, eggplant, fenugreek leaves, potatoes, turmeric, a pinch of salt and some water.
Heat oil. Saute onions, garlic and ginger, till they turn light brown.
Add the tomatoes and dhansak masala and saute till fat separates.
Add the dal mixture, bring to a boil, then simmer for about 5 minutes.
Shut the flame and add lemon juice.
You can add cooked meat and stock, if desired.