Recipe of Coconut Pancakes (Allebelles)
Allebelles are home made Goan pancakes with a coconut-jaggery filling.
- 1/2 cup maida
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk water as required
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 Tbsp oil for cooking the pancakes
- For the filling:
1 cup grated coconut
- 1 cup broken up jaggery
- 1 tsp crushed cardamom seeds
- Dry fruits, optional
How to Make Coconut Pancakes (Allebelles)
- Mix flour, salt, egg, oil and enough milk to form a thin paste, of pouring consistency.
- Let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Put a heavy- based frying pan over high heat and add one tbsp of oil.
- Lower the heat, turn the oil around in the pan, and drain off excess oil, leaving the pan only brushed with oil.
- Increase the heat again, and pour batter and swirl the pan around immediately to coat the bottom.
- Lower the heat, cook on one side till a light brown, then turn over and brown the other side and keep aside.
For the filling:
- Dissolve the jaggery in a little water over low heat.
- When melted add the coconut and cardamom and cook till excess water dries out .
- Place a little filling on one side of a pancake, and roll tightly.
- Serve hot or cold.