Adding whipped cream on top of your desserts is like adorning them with a glorious crown. Even a small dollop can elevate the taste, texture, flavour and presentation of a dish to a new level. You must have seen many recipe videos of whipped cream being made using blenders, hand mixers or stand mixers. Others may choose the traditional way of whisking by hand, using a balloon whisk or a fork. But what should you do if these options are not available? You can actually make whipped cream using only a mason jar. Don't believe us? Find the full recipe below in this article.
What to do if you don't have a mason jar
You can also use a sturdy plastic container or any similar vessel with a secure lid. Ensure that you fill approximately half of the container with heavy cream. Some experts suggest adding a clean cork inside before you begin shaking the cream.
How to choose the right cream
While choosing the cream, opt for one with higher fat content if you want more stable whipped cream. Heavy cream generally has more than 35% milk fat. Even if you are using a mixer or a whisk, avoid using half-and-half as it won't get whipped properly.
Also Read: How To Make Rich And Creamy Fruit Cream In 3 Easy Steps
What whipped cream is used for
The whipped cream made using this method can be used to top pancakes, waffles, cupcakes, tarts, etc. You don't require a piping bag, just carefully scoop it with a spoon and place the airy white goodness onto the dessert. You can simply enjoy it with some fresh fruits too.
How to make whipped cream without a whisk or blender
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1-2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract (or any flavouring of your choice)
- 1 Mason jar with lid (suitable for approx 500ml)
- Before you begin, place the closed mason jar and the heavy cream in the freezer (separately) for around 10 minutes. Both need to be properly chilled for this trick to work.
- Add the cream, sugar and vanilla extract into the mason jar and close it tightly. Double-check that the lid is secured.
- Start shaking the mason jar in a consistent motion. Continue doing so vigorously for around 5-10 minutes.
- Pay attention to the sound of the cream as you shake it. In the beginning, it will sound dense and heavy. As it turns into whipped cream, the sound will change.
- Open the lid and check how the cream is looking. You can gently use a spoon to verify the consistency. Ideally, it should look soft and not fall off too easily.
- Be careful not to overwhip the cream. Use it immediately after it's ready.
Also Read: How To Whip Cream? Simple And Quick-Fire Ways To Make The Decadent Addition
So, the next time you want a quick topping for your desserts, you can simply make this whipped cream. You can also add sprinkles, chocolate chips or cocoa powder on top of the cream to make it look more delicious.
About Toshita SahniToshita is fuelled by wordplay, wanderlust, wonderment and Alliteration. When she is not blissfully contemplating her next meal, she enjoys reading novels and roaming around the city.