Kalmi Vada Recipe
How To Make Kalmi Vada
About Kalmi Vada Recipe: Kalmi Vadas are deep fried flour based munchies served with a zesty 'hari chutney'. Kalmi Vada is a popular Rajasthani snack.
- Total Cook Time1 hr 15 mins
- Prep Time 15 mins
- Cook Time1 hr
- Recipe Servings4
Ingredients of Kalmi Vada
- 1 Cup chana daal (bengal gram)
- 1/3 cup dhuli moong (husked green gram)
- 1/3 cup dhuli urad (husked black gram)
- 1/3 cup arhar (yellow lentils)
- 1 tbsp salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp heeng (asafetida)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp meetha (baking) soda
- 2 tsp ajwain seeds (carum/thymol)
- Oil for deep frying
How to Make Kalmi VadaHideShow Media
Clean, wash and soak the four dals for 4-5 hours.
Grind the dals, without using water (for you need a dough like consistency). The texture should be a bit grainy.
Mix in rest of the dry ingredients and shape the dough into slightly flat rounds 2-3 inch (6 cm) in diameter.
Heat the oil and over high heat, put in as many balls as come in without touching, turn after about 10 seconds, and lower the heat. Cook till firm on both sides, but not brown.
When cool, slice into 1/2 inch (6 cm) thick slices.
Before serving, deep-fry the slices, first over high heat then lowering the heat till crisp. Serve with hari chutney.