How to make Radha Ballavi (Stuffed Puri)
Recipe Servings: 6
Total Cook Time:
Difficulty Level: Medium
About Radha Ballavi (Stuffed Puri) Recipe: They're part of a typical Sunday breakfast in any Bengali's home. Lentil stuffed puris that are hot, round, fluffy and will surely make your day.
Ingredients of Radha Ballavi (Stuffed Puri)
- 1 Cup flour
- 1 cup arhar dal (split pigeon peas)
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 1 tsp fennel seeds (powdered), roasted
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tsp kaala jeera (onion seeds)
- Vegetable oil (to fry)
- Sugar (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
How to Make Radha Ballavi (Stuffed Puri)
- 1.Strain arhar dal (split pigeon peas) and blend along with hing and fennel powder to form paste.
- 2.In a pan heat 2 tbsp oil.
- 3.Add kaala jeera, ginger paste and a pinch of salt after 5 to 10 seconds.
- 4.Saute for 5 to 10 seconds again.
- 5.Addarhar dal paste, 1 tsp sugar, 1 tsp salt, red chilli powder and cook on low flame until the water is absorbed well.
- 6.Stir in the middle to avoid sticking to pan.
- Prepare the dough:
- 1.In a bowl take flour, 1 tsp salt and 2 tsp sugar.
- 2.Add 1 cup warm water.
- 3.Keep the dough covered for 20 minutes before cooking.
- 4.Roll a dough to make a small round and place 1 tbsp of stuffing in the center.
- 5.Bring all the edges together and close it. Roll again to give the shape of a puri.
- 6.Apply the same process to the rest of the dough.
- 7.In a pan heat enough oil for deep frying.
- 8.Slide one puri into oil and turn it over when one side starts to inflate.
- 9.Make sure that both the sides are well fried.
- 10.Serve hot with masala aloo or sweet tamarind syrup and curd.
Key Ingredients: flour, arhar dal (split pigeon peas), red chilli powder, asafoetida (hing), fennel seeds (powdered), ginger paste, kaala jeera (onion seeds), Vegetable oil (to fry), Sugar (to taste), Salt (to taste)