Recipe of Lagan Nu Custard
'Lagan-Nu-Custard' is a Parsi dessert prepared during weddings. The name itself means 'wedding custard'. Made with simple everyday ingredients like milk, eggs, butter and nuts.
- Oven temp: 350 F-180 C
- 5 cups (1 kg) full cream milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 6 green cardamoms
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg - powdered together with the cardamoms
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1/4 cup blanched and slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup chironji/charoli nuts
- 4 eggs slightly beaten
- 1/2 cup cream
- A generously buttered oven proof serving dish
- A few blobs of butter to top the custard
- Nuts to decorate
How to Make Lagan Nu Custard
- Cook milk and sugar together, to reduce it to half the amount.
- Add half the spice powder, half the nuts and the vanilla and mix well and cool.
- Mix the cream into the milk and beat the mixture into the beaten eggs.
- Transfer into the prepared dish, sprinkle the rest of the nuts and spices, and the blobs of butter and bake in the pre heated oven for 1/2 an hour (a skewer inserted should come out clean).
- Should be brown on top.
- Cool and chill. You can also decorate with nuts.
- Cut into squares and serve.