A quintessential south Indian recipe made at home in a microwave.
- 1 cup arhar dal-picked and washed well
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- 2-3 Tbsp sambar masala
- 6-8 small whole onions-peeled
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 10-15 curry leaves
- 2-3 whole red chillies
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1 tsp tamarind pulp coriander for garnish
- Soak the arhar ki dal in 2 cups of boiling water for 1/2 an hour.
- Add salt and onions and cook covered at HI for 5 minutes.
- Stir and cook again at 70% for 10 minutes. Mash the dal to a pulp or blend in a blender. Mix in the sugar and the sambhar masala.
- In another dish, mix together the mustard seeds, curry leaves, red chillies and the oil. Cook covered at HI for 3 minutes.
- Add the dal mixture to this along with 2 cups of boiling water and cook covered at 70% stirring once.
- Mix in the tamarind and cook covered at 30% for 5 minutes. Serve garnished with coriander leaves, accompanied with idlis or plain boiled rice.