Story ProgressBack to home
Sambar Masala Recipe
How To Make Sambar Masala
About Sambar Masala Recipe: Freshly made, homemade, aromatic powder used in the preparation of popular and delicious South Indian dish Sambhar. Made with a wide variety of spice and herbs, ground and stored in an airtight container to be used for a longer period of time. You can use the same masala in various other dishes to up the tangy taste and give a twist to many different recipes.
- Total Cook Time 15 mins
- Prep Time 05 mins
- Cook Time 10 mins
- Recipe Servings4
Ingredients of Sambar Masala
- 2 Cups Whole red pepper
- 1 1/2 cups coriander seeds (dhania)
- 2 tbsp mustard seeds (sarson)
- 3 tbsp cumin seeds (jeera)
- 4 tsp peppercorns (sabut kali mirch)
- 2 tbsp fenugreek seeds (methi dana)
- 2 tbsp black gram (dhuli urad dal)(husked and split)
- 2 tbsp Bengal gram (channa dal)
- 2 tbsp yellow lentils (arhar dal)
- 2 tbsp rice
- 2 tbsp asafoetida (heeng)
- 2 tbsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1/4 cup dried curry leaves (kadi patta)
How to Make Sambar MasalaHideShow Media
Roast all the ingredients, except the turmeric powder, till very slightly colored.
Remove from the heat and cool. Grind to a powder and mix in the turmeric powder.
Store this masala in an airtight jar.