Mouth ulcers are sores or lesions that often appear on the inside of the cheeks, lips or on the floor of the mouth. They are uncomfortable, sometimes painful but harmless. Mouth ulcers can be caused due to a number of reasons like constipation, hormonal changes, acidity and deficiencies of vitamin B or C, iron and other nutrients. Interestingly, it has been found that women (more than men), adolescents, and those with a family history of mouth ulcers are at higher risk of developing mouth ulcers. The good news is that they are easily treatable. Stock your home with these natural home remedies for mouth ulcers.
“The most common cause of mouth ulcers may be constipation or other stomach disorders. Treating such ailments or the root cause will help in healing mouth ulcers faster,” says Dr. Ashutosh Gautam, Clinical Operations and Coordination Manager, Baidyanath. Presenting, seven home remedies for mouth ulcers that work. Look no further than your kitchen.
1. Honey Honey works due to its antibacterial properties. Honey retains moisture and prevents your mouth from becoming dry. It also hastens the process of new tissue growth. Dr. Gautam suggests that you apply raw homey to the ulcer or you can even mix it with some amla powder and gently rub on the affected area. You can even mix pinch of turmeric with honey, it helps in healing.
2. Mulethi Powder For mouth ulcers cause due to stomach ailments, mulethi works wonders, says Dr. Gautam. It is best consumed with water or with some honey. It helps in cleaning your stomach and removes toxins that could be responsible for the ulcers.
3. Triphala Triphala is an Ayurvedic herbal powder consisting of three Indian fruits – Amalaki, Bibhitaki and Haritaki. “Mix 1/2 teaspoon of Triphala with 1 cup of water to make a decoction. Gargle with it once a day. Hold it in your mouth for 1 to 2 minutes and then spit it out,” advices Ayurveda Expert, Dr. Meenakshi Sharma.
4. Mishri and Camphor Dr. Meenakshi suggests another home remedy where you can grind 8 grams mishri with 1 gram of camphor and apply this powder on the sores. This mix is known to reduce irritation and swelling.
5. Coconut Oil or Ghee Coconut oil has natural inflammatory properties. Swish some around in your mouth and then spit it out. Do this several times a day, it helps in reducing swelling and soothes the pain. Similarly, desi ghee is an age-old remedy for mouth ulcers your grandmother may have often told you about. Apply desi ghee on the ulcer, let it stay for few minutes and then spit it out.
6. Aloe Vera Juice Swish some aloe vera juice a couple of times in the day to get relief. This simple home remedy is the easiest way to treat mouth ulcers. Aloe vera also has natural anti-inflammatory properties and drinking aloe vera juice is known to cure even stomach ulcers. It offers relief by healing the stomach lining and reducing acidic secretions.
7. Tulsi Leaves Tulsi leaves are known to be very therapeutic. Chew some fresh leaves and drink water to swallow them. They might be a bit bitter but it really works. Similarly, you can even boil some fenugreek leaves and use the water to gargle two-three times in a day.
Mouth ulcers usually go away within one or two weeks but if the sore becomes large and painful you must see a doctor. “In most cases, mouth ulcers may be caused due to some imbalance in the stomach or intestines. You should eat light meals and drink lot of fluids to keep your stomach clean. Add a lot of probiotics in your diet like yogurt as they help in strengthening your gut flora. Drinking a glass of milk with a teaspoon of saunf also helps in regulating stomach and digestive functions,” suggests Dr. Meenakshi.