Here are some amazing health benefits of jamuns or black plums:
1. Fight DiabetesJamun, or jambol juice, is one of the best dietary cures for diabetes out there. Although, the pulp of the fruit contributes in the fight against diabetes to a large extent, it's the seeds of the fruit that are the real stars in this case. They convert sugars into energy, hence, maintaining the optimum level of blood sugar in diabetics.(Also Read: Summer Special: Indulge in Jamuns, the Purple Hued Fruit of the Gods)
2. Improve DigestionJamun can improve digestion to a great extent. They can regularise bowel movements and can treat diarrhoea. Jamun juice solves the problems of spleen enlargement and urine retention as well.
3. Help In Weight LossJamun is very low in calories, and hence, makes for a great healthy snack if you're trying to lose weight during the summers. So, pepper your bowl of fruit chaat with diced jamuns for an addition of taste and health.(Aslo Read: Meditation for Weight loss: How Can You Benefit?)
4. Improves Oral HealthJamuns are believed to be great for treating bleeding gums and also for curing bad breath. The pulp of a fruit is effective against gingivitis, while the juice can even be used as a mouthwash.(Also Read: Salt For Dental Health: Do Salt Toothpastes Actually Make Your Teeth Stronger Or Whiter?)
5. Minimises Risk Of CancerJamuns are extremely rich in active phytochemicals such as polyphenols. These contain anthocyanin, which can prevent cancer and even heart diseases.
So, now you know! If you needed any more reasons to add jamuns to your summer diet, we've given you five. Time to load up on all the deliciousness of the shiny black jamuns!
About Sakshita KhoslaSakshita loves the finer things in life including food, books and coffee, and is motivated by self-indulgence and her love for words. When not writing, she can be found huddled in the corner of a cosy cafe with a good book, caffeine and her own thoughts for company.