If you're trying to lose weight, then you're more likely to restrict what you eat and how much of it you eat. This might up your food cravings, causing you to indulge in unhealthy snacking and ultimately, putting you in harm's way. We can't stress enough on how important it is to balance your meals and snacks.
So instead of rummaging through your kitchen looking for food, try these 10 appetite suppressing foods that will keep you full for longer:
1. Nuts: A recent study in the international journal of obesity found that adding nuts, especially almonds to a low calorie diet boosts weight-loss. Researchers cited that almonds are rich in monounsaturated fats, provide satiety and prevent people from overeating. (Why almonds are good for you)
2. Oatmeal: Half a cup of oats contain 5 grams of fiber and takes longer to digest leaving you feel full for longer. Oatmeal also increases the appetite regulating hormone choleccystokinin which actually controls hunger. (Why oats are good for you)
3. Apple: Studies found that ursolic acid, a compound naturally present in apple peel helps with weight-loss. It also contains pectin which helps in preventing blood sugar spikes.
4. Spices: Spices like black pepper, turmeric and cinnamon boost the metabolism and burn fat. You can sprinkle some black pepper on cut fruits and salad, or add a pinch of cinnamon in tea or porridge. You can also start taking fresh turmeric in milk to boost your metabolism. (Why fresh turmeric is good for you)
5. Pomegranate: They are rich in antioxidants, polyphenols and conjugated linolenic acid mostly found in pomegranates seed oil, all of which help you burn fat and boost your metabolism.
6. Mint: Mint not only has calming properties but is also an effective appetite suppressant. So it would be a good idea to start having mint tea at least once a day.
7. Eggs: Individuals who consume egg protein for breakfast are more likely to feel full during the day. Eggs also help you bulk up on all essential amino acids, all the vitamins you could possibly need (besides Vitamin C) and minerals. (Why eggs are good for you)
8. Flaxseeds and chia seeds: These seeds are rich in fiber, omega fatty acids and excellent appetite suppressants. You can take half a teaspoon of flaxseeds or chia seeds with water early morning or you can sprinkle them on your salad, fruits or on any vegetables preparations. Both these seeds are also good for the heart, help prevent cancer, aid digestion and weight-loss and also give you great skin!
9. Quinoa: It's known as a complete grain and combines protein, fiber, vitamin B and complex carbohydrates, all in one. Eating grains like quinoa will help to boost your metabolism and burn belly fat faster. It will also leave you feeling full.
10. Cucumber: It's an effective and healthy way to cleanse your body from deep inside and lose weight. Cucumber is rich in dietary fiber and will fill you up.
(Also see - Junk food may kill appetite for healthy food)
The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.