From cooking to beauty products, coconut oil is everywhere. It's extremely popular for its unique taste and the multiple health benefits it offers. It helps with weight-loss, boosts immunity, improves digestion and helps treat skin and hair problems. Where does it come from? Coconut oil is extracted from matured coconuts harvested from the coconut palm. (Why Coconut Oil is good for you)
What Makes Coconut Oil So Unique?
1. Coconut oil consists of saturated fatty acids and most of them are medium-chain triglycerides (MCT), known as the healthy form of saturated fats. These MCT metabolize differently in the body as they rapidly get converted into energy source in the liver and do not deposit as fat in the body.
2. It contains lauric acid which get converted into monolaurin in the body. Monolaurin helps in fighting against viruses, fungi and bacteria.
3. Coconut oil consists of a polyunsaturated fatty acid known as linoleic acid which is an unsaturated omega-6 fatty acid. Linoleic acid is an important dietary requirement.
4. Coconut oil also has polyphenols which works as an antioxidant. It also contains Gallic acid which is responsible for the fragrance and the taste of the coconut oil.
5. Coconut oil is rich in Vitamin E, Vitamin K and minerals such as iron. The Miraculous Health Benefits of Coconut Oil:
• It's good for the heart - Coconut Oil contains 50% lauric acid which helps in maintaining cholesterol levels and normalizes high blood pressure. It does not increase low-density lipoprotein (LDL) which is the bad cholesterol and reduces inflammation of arteries.
• Skin care - It's an excellent moisturizer for all skin type. It delays the onset of wrinkles and sagging of skin. It helps in treating skin problems like psoriasis, eczema, dermatitis, etc.
• Hair care - Coconut oil provides all the nutrients requires for hair growth. It makes the hair look shiny and acts as an excellent hair conditioner.
• Weight-loss - It increases the body's metabolic rate, is easy to digest and helps in healthy functioning of the thyroid and endocrine gland.
• Boosts immunity - Lauric acid present in coconut oil gets converted into monolaurin which help fight bacteria and viruses.
• Improves digestion - It helps in improving digestion and prevents IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome). The saturated fats present in coconut oil have antimicrobial properties and help in dealing with various bacteria, fungi and parasites that cause indigestion.
• Healing properties - When applied on an infected area, it forms a layer and prevents it from external dust, air, fungi, bacteria and viruses. It helps in healing process of damaged tissues.
• Coconut oil improves secretion of insulin, which helps in maintaining blood glucose levels and helps in managing diabetes.
• It helps in treating Pancreatitis.
• Coconut Oil prevents the accumulation of body fat - It can be used for cooking, baking and can be added to different recipes like yogurt, smoothies, soups and hot drinks. (The Best Coconut Oils for Your Health)
CommentsDisclaimer: The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.