Story ProgressBack to home
Bharwan Baingan Recipe
How to make Bharwan Baingan
Brinjals slit and stuffed with an array of ingredients and cooked till tender.
- Total Cook Time 50 mins
- Prep Time 20 mins
- Cook Time 30 mins
- Recipe Servings4
Ingredients of Bharwan Baingan
- 1/2 kg small round brinjals
- For Filling :
- 1 tsp ajwain- roasted and powdered
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- 2 tsp ginger paste
- 1 tbsp gram flour- roasted till slightly discoloured
- salt to taste
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tbsp coriander powder
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp fennel seeds-roasted and pounded coarsely
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds- roasted and pounded coarsely
- 20 gm tamarind-soaked in water and strained
- 1/2 cup mustard oil
- 1 tbsp ginger- finely sliced to garnish
How to Make Bharwan BainganHideShow Media
Wash and wipe the brinjals and slit length wise from the base towards the stalk, just short of the stalk, dividing first into half.
Then make another slit dividing each into quarters, thus making space to fill the masala.
Mix together the filling ingredients and stuff the masala firmly into the brinjals.
Heat the oil in a pan till it gives off a strong aroma.
Add the brinjals and turn around a few times on high heat.
Reduce heat, cover and cook till tender, stirring a few times.
Serve hot, garnished with sliced ginger.