Ghiya Chana Dal Recipe
How to make Ghiya Chana Dal
About Ghiya Chana Dal Recipe: Chane ki dal, cooked with ghiya (bottle gourd).
- Total Cook Time 30 mins
- Prep Time 05 mins
- Cook Time 25 mins
- Recipe Servings4
Ingredients of Ghiya Chana Dal
- 1 cup (180 gm) chane ki dal (Bengal Gram)
- 5 cups water
- 1 Tbsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp haldi (turmeric)
- 1 Tbsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 Tbsp (30 gm) ghee (clarified butter)
- 1 tsp jeera (cummin seeds)
- 2 tej patta (bay leaves)
- 1/4 cup (60 gm) grated tomatoes
- 2-3 green chillies, slit
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp powdered dhania (coriander seeds)
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 cups (500 gm) ghiya/lauki (bottle gourd) peeled and cut into small pieces, 1 1/2cms/ 3/4
- 1 Tbsp chopped hara dhania (coriander leaves) for garnishing
How to Make Ghiya Chana DalHideShow Media
Pick, clean and wash the dal and pressure cook with the 3 cups water, salt, haldi and ginger.
Cook till lentils are cooked soft for about 12 minutes.
Heat the ghee in a pan, and add the jeera and tej patta. When the seeds splutter, add the tomatoes and stir-fry till the fat separates.
Add the green chillies, garam masala, dhania, chilli powder and ghiya and mix well.
Add the daal to this mixture and bring to a boil, and then simmer for about 10 minutes. Serve hot garnished with the coriander leaves.