Recipe Servings: 2
Total Cook Time:
Difficulty Level: Medium
Litti is a popular snack of Bihar made with sattu. This version is filled with spices and baked.
Ingredients of Litti
- Oven temp: 400 F- 200 C
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup ghee
- 1 tsp salt (in cold water to mix) and oil for deep-frying
- For the filling:
- 1 cup sattu (powdered roasted gram)
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/8 tsp asafoetida
- 3/4 tsp garam masala
- 3/4 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp fennel seeds, powdered
- 2 tsp coriander seeds, powdered
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp aamchoor (dried mango powder)
How to Make Litti
- 1.Mix the filling ingredients together and keep aside.
- 2.Make the dough:
- 3.Mix in the flour, salt, ghee and enough water to make a stiff dough.
- 4.Cover and leave to rest for at least 15-20 minutes.
- 5.Make about 20 smooth balls from the dough.
- 6.Roll into 1/4" thick rounds.
- 7.Pinch edge all around and wet.
- 8.Place a ball of the filling in the center, and bring the wet edges together, covering the filling completely.
- 9.Press together to seal. Roll between palms to smoothen.
- 10.Bake in a pre-heated oven for 10 minutes, then lower the oven temperature and bake another 20-25 minutes, till brown and cooked through.
- 11.Note: You can serve these hot with ghee poured on top.
Key Ingredients: whole wheat flour, ghee, salt (in cold water to mix) and oil for deep-frying, sattu (powdered roasted gram), oil, cumin seeds, asafoetida, garam masala, chilli powder, fennel seeds, coriander seeds, salt, aamchoor (dried mango powder)