Recipe of Uttapam
A traditional delicacy from down South which literally means 'poured appam' in Tamil. Uttapam is a dosa-like preparation made with the batter of rice, dhuli urad dal and fenugreek seeds.
- 2 cups (360 gm) parboiled rice
- 1/2 cup (90 gm) split and husked Bengal Gram (dhuli urad)
- 1/2 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 2 tsp salt
- An iron griddle or tawa
- Oil to smear the pan for cooking the uttapam
How to Make Uttapam
- Soak rice, daal and methi in water for 5-6 hours.
- Grind fine, add salt and enough water to make a dropping consistency and leave to ferment 5-6 hours.
- Heat tawa, and brush oil over it. When really hot, splash a little water over it, and pour about 1 cup of batter on to it.
- It will spread a little. When the edges start browning a bit, pour a trail of oil around it.
- Turn it over and let it brown on the other side too.
For an onion uttapam:
- Before you turn the uttapam over, sprinkle a mixture of finely chopped onions, tomatoes, coriander leaves and green chillies.