The tantalising flavoursome taste of a full-bodied effervescent Kombucha is not only a treat for the taste buds but is also a bliss for your bodily health. Kombucha, a fermented drink is loaded with a good amount of beneficial probiotics, which include the gut-friendly live bacteria and yeast, and a decent amount of amino acids, vitamin C, B2, B6, acetic acid, lactic acid and antioxidants. This power-packed super drink is a concoction of microorganisms like yeast and bacteria, which is prepared by fermentation of sugared tea using SCOBY i.e., the symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast, which results in the enrichment of its nutrition value. The fermentation process results in colonial growth of the healthy microorganisms in the drink.
As it is said that 70% of our immune system is in our gut so it becomes utmost important to have a healthy and efficient working gut in order to lead a healthy lifestyle. Adequate intake of Kombucha is favourable for repopulating the intestine with healthy bacteria which helps in making our gut more efficient.
Health benefits of Kombucha: Kombucha exhibits numerous health benefits, a few of them are listed below:
1. It allows good bacteria to grow in our intestines so the food in our intestine becomes a substrate or a soil for good bacteria to thrive, making the process of digestion much easier, resulting in better weight management.
2. It has a good amount of antioxidants that help in killing the harmful bacteria and pathogens and fight back several diseases; in short, it helps in building the immunity level of the body.
3. Kombucha helps in keeping your heart healthy by lowering down the bad cholesterol and maintaining the blood pressure rate.
4. It has proved to be beneficial for diabetic patients as well.
Recipe of a homemade Kombucha drink:
You can get a SCOBY from the market or grow it at home. In order to grow SCOBY at home, follow these steps:
- Boil some water.
- Add 2 teaspoons of your favourite tea in it.
- Add sugar.
- Bring it to boil.
- Seep and cool.
- Put the prepared liquid in a jar and add one whole cup of Kombucha, you bought from the market.
- Cover it with a cap tightly.
A week later you'll observe a SCOBY growing.
For Kombucha drink, follow the below steps:
- Once SCOBY is prepared, now is the time to brew some tea.
- Put the prepared SCOBY and the cooled tea in a gallon jar.
- Cover it with a muslin cloth or a paper napkin and expose it to the sunlight for at least a week or until it is carbonated.
- After a week, taste the prepared Kombucha drink. If it tastes zingy and is fizzy, and the SCOBY is floating at the top, then your perfect Kombucha drink is ready to be served.
This globally appreciated beverage is no less than a healing tonic, which is highly acidic and contains a little amount of alcohol as well. It is rapidly gaining popularity in India and is a new trending detox beverage among the celebs, bloggers and influencers.
Nutritionists and dieticians around the world have come up with a creative way of encouraging people to substitute their regular, not-so-healthy cup of tea with a healthy cup of Kombucha by enhancing its flavour through secondary fermentation. So, here are a few ideas to reap as many benefits as one can of a Kombucha drink by making it everyone's a most preferred cup of tea:
Recipes of Tantalising, flavoursome Kombucha drinks which are a must-try:
1. Lemony Ginger Ale Kombucha
This super citric dulcified fizzy Kombucha is a perfect beat-the-heat beverage. It is an easy-to-prepare zingy summer drink which requires lemons or grapefruits, ginger and some freshly fermented Kombucha. The ingredients are to be put together in a close tight jar and cultured for about a week at least.
(Also Read: Prebiotic Foods Versus Probiotics: What's Best For Our Diet?)
3. Fruit Punch Kombucha
We all love the delightful refreshing essence of fruits and its benefits are unknown to everyone. So, why not add some fruits in your favourite cup of Kombucha to not just add some freshness but also to double its health benefits.
(Also Read: The Art of Fermentation: Indian Cuisines' Much-Loved Fermented Foods)
4. Cinnamon Apple Kombucha
The aromatic blend of cinnamon and the thin slices of apple add a distinct flavour to the flavoursome Kombucha drink.
5. Berry Kombucha
Sweet and fresh berries add a light fruity flavour to Kombucha, making it a delectable refreshing summer drink. Strawberries, blueberries, blackberries etc. can be added to the Kombucha drink to add a distinctly delightful taste.
(Also Read: 5 Crazy Drinks That Created A Buzz In 2018! How Many Did You Try?)
6. Green Kombucha
This is a must-try for the fitness freaks. Adding a daily dose of leafy greens like celery, seagrasses etc. in their favourite cup of Kombucha tea makes it a perfect detox drink for them. So what are you waiting for? Just ‘go green to get lean!'
7. Green Tea Kombucha
Green tea Kombucha is one of the finest secondary fermented Kombucha drinks. It is a concoction of one of the healthiest beverage i.e., green tea, which is full of antioxidants and Kombucha, which again has a good amount of antioxidants and good bacteria.
The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.