Superfoods are whole foods that supply abundant nutrients
They are the superstars to keep your health in its optimum state
Add guavas, spinach, beans & ginger to your diet this season
We hear about new superfoods every day. A miracle food for weight loss, hair strength or even degenerative diseases. But what actually are these superfoods? And are they really offering the punch they claim?
“Superfoods are whole foods that supply an abundance of nourishing natural vitamins, minerals, healthy fats, amino acids, plant enzymes, antioxidants and phyto-nutrients.”
So we can easily claim that superfoods are the superstars to keep your health in its optimum state. However, it would be wrong to generalize. A particular food might be excellent for my body condition or the climate I live in. For example, what might be a superfood in the summers might create imbalance in winters. Similarly, if kiwi is a superfood in Australia, should I be running around trying to get this exotic superfood or just look at options closer to where I live?
Each season of the year is represented by the energy that dominates. Superfoods in the west might create imbalance in my body back in the east. Modern technology has made it possible for us to get all types of superfoods from all over the world throughout the year by use of transportation, refrigeration and chemical preservation. This of course, has provided the benefit of variety, but it has also led to increasing use of harmful chemicals and further denaturing of our food.
Look for balance in nature, and anything that is growing and flourishing in your natural habitat is a super duper food for you. Here are some basic foods that I believe will fall in the category of superfoods for this season.
The Next Big Superfood For This Season:
Autumn is a tough time for your lungs. Coughs, colds and sore throat are connected problems that haunt many. These foods are great for this season:
1. Ginger, Garlic & Radish: Add these superfoods to stimulate the energy in stagnant lungs.
2. Fresh Carrot, Coriander and Ginger Juice:Carrot removes the energy downwards from the throat, coriander moves energy upwards and ginger moves the energy out. Use equal parts of carrot and coriander and a tiny piece of ginger and juice them in a juicer.
3. Pomegranates:Pomegranates are at their peak now. These delicious pearls come with numerous health benefits. Sprinkle cinnamon on them and lightly bake for an sweet post-dinner munchie.
4. Green Beans: These are loaded with Vitamin K, Vitamin C, Vitamin A, Iron, Potassium, Folate, Copper, Calcium and Riboflavin. Do not ignore this superfood. Green beans are anti-inflammatory that reduce the severity of asthma and bronchitis.
5. Spinach:Spinach is a power house of nutrients that can shame any exotic superfood. It contains 30 different flavonoid compounds that function as anti-oxidants, anti-cancer agents. Add spinach to just about any meal for an easy nutrient boost.
6. Guavas: The Ultimate Superfruit. Put the kiwis aside to welcome this humble fruit. It’s time we gave our own inexpensive yet truly magical foods the reputation they deserve.
Before rushing to buy the next superfood from across seven seas, look around and go local. Focus on simple food that is closest to nature. Eating locally grown fruits and vegetables is one of the best things we can do for ourselves and for the environment.
About the Author:
Shilpa Arora ND is a renowned Health Practitioner, Nutritionist and certified Macrobiotic Health Coach. She has to her credit Doctorate in Natural Medicine. She is currently based in Delhi NCR region, successfully running her Nutrition Studio with individual consultations, offering life style programs supported by the most up-to-date clinical research.
CommentsThe opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same. The products linked inline are neither suggested, nor approved by the author.