Guava is one of the richest sources of dietary fiber.
Besides immunity, guava do wonders to skin and also promotes fertility.
Guava also helps in regulating metabolism which leads to weight loss.
Have not all of us enjoyed a plateful of guavas sprinkled with chaat masala atop? Nothing else can match up to the luscious jams, jellies and murabbas laced with an intoxicating strong-sweet fragrance. Undeniably, it is one fruit which always got enough lauding from our grandmothers. Guava, popularly known as amrood in Hindi, comes loaded with tiny hard seeds at the center. It is believed to have its genesis in Central America where it is alternatively known as "sand plum". It is round or oval in shape with light green or light yellow skin, and the colour of its flesh varies from white or pink to dark red and has edible seeds. Besides its unique flavour and fragrance, guava has been hailed as one of the super fruits due to the numerous health benefits it offers. It indeed is a powerhouse of nutrients. “This humble fruit is extraordinarily rich in vitamin C, lycopene and antioxidants that are beneficial for skin. Guavas are also rich in manganese which helps the body to absorb other key nutrients from the food that we eat. Guavas contain folate, a mineral which helps promote fertility. The potassium in guavas helps normalise blood pressure levels as well. In fact, a banana and a guava contain almost the same amount of potassium. Since it contains about 80% of water it helps keep your skin hydrated”, says Dr. Manoj K. Ahuja, Sukhda Hospital.
Here are 15 mind-blowing guava benefits for health and skin you need to know.
1. Immunity Booster Did you know: Guavas are one of the richest sources of vitamin C? It’s true. Guavas contain 4 times the vitamin C content present in oranges. Vitamin C helps improve immunity and protects you against common infections and pathogens. Moreover, it keeps your eyes healthy.
2. Lowers Risk of Cancer “Lycopene, quercetin, vitamin C and other polyphenols act as potent antioxidants which neutralise free radicals generated in the body, preventing the growth of cancer cells. Guavas have shown to be widely successful in reducing prostate cancer risk and also inhibit the growth of breast cancer cells since it is rich in lycopene”, says Dr. Manoj K. Ahuja.
3. Diabetes-Friendly Due to the rich fibre content and low glycaemic index, guavas prevent the development of diabetes. While the low glycemic index inhibits a sudden spike in sugar levels, the fibre content ensures the sugar levels are well regulated.
The fiber content in guava ensures the sugar levels are regulated
4. Heart Healthy Guavas improve the sodium and potassium balance of the body, thereby regulating blood pressure in patients with hypertension. Guavas also help lower the levels of triglycerides and bad cholesterol (LDL), which contribute to the development of heart disease. This magical fruit improves levels of the good cholesterol (HDL).
5. Treats Constipation It is one of the richest sources of dietary fiber in comparison to other fruits and just 1 guava fulfills about 12% of your daily recommended intake of fibre, which makes it extremely beneficial for your digestive health. Guava seeds, if ingested whole or chewed, serve as excellent laxatives too, helping the formation of healthy bowel movements.
6. Improves Eyesight Due to the presence of Vitamin A, guava is well known as a booster for vision health. It can not only prevent degradation of eyesight, but even improve eyesight. It can help slow down the appearance of cataracts and macular degeneration. Even though guavas are not as rich in Vitamin A as carrots, they are still a very good source of the nutrient.
Guavas help slow down the appearance of cataracts and macular degeneration.
7. Guava During Pregnancy Guavas contain folic acid, or vitamin B-9, which is recommended for pregnant women since it can help in developing the baby’s nervous system and protect the newborn from neurological disorders.
8. Beats Toothache Guava leaves have a potent anti-inflammatory action and a powerful antibacterial ability which fights infection and kills germs. Thus, consuming guava leaves works as a fantastic home remedy for toothache. The juice of guava leaves has also been known to cure toothaches, swollen gums and oral ulcers.
9. Stress-Buster The magnesium present in guavas helps to relax the muscles and nerves of the body. So after a hard workout or a long day at the office, a guava is certainly what you need to relax your muscles, combat stress and give your system a good energy boost.
10. Good for Your Brain “Guavas contain vitamin B3 and vitamin B6, also known as niacin and pyridoxine respectively, which help in improving blood circulation to the brain, stimulating cognitive function and relaxing the nerves”, remarks Dr. Manoj K. Ahuja.
11. Weight Loss Want to shed a few pounds? Guava is just the ticket. Without compromising your intake of proteins, vitamins and fiber, guava helps you lose weight by regulating your metabolism. It’s a win-win! Guava makes for a very filling snack and satisfies the appetite very easily. Guava, especially raw guava, also has far less sugar as compared to apples, oranges, grapes, and other fruits.
12. Cough and Cold Guava has one of the highest quantities of vitamin-C and iron among fruits, and both are proven to be preventive against cold and viral infections. The juice of raw and immature guavas or a decoction of guava-leaves is very helpful in relieving cough and cold since it helps get rid of mucus and disinfects the respiratory tract, throat and lungs.
Guava-leaves is very helpful in relieving cold and cough.
Guava for Skin
13. Anti-Ageing Properties Guavas are rich in vitamin A, vitamin C and antioxidants like carotene and lycopene which help protect the skin from wrinkles. A guava a day, keeps fine lines away!
14. Improves Complexion Guava helps regain the skin’s radiance and freshness. Reap the benefits by preparing a DIY scrub at home: All you have to do is mash some guava flesh with an egg yolk and apply it on your face. Rinse off after 20 minutes with warm water. When used once or twice a week, this scrub will remove dead cells from your skin and lighten your complexion. Guavas are also a great source of Vitamin K, which helps get rid of skin discoloration, dark circles, redness and acne irritation.
Comments15. Improves Texture Guavas rank high in astringent properties, guava leaves and unripe guavas even higher. Guava helps tone up and tighten the facial muscles, so apply a decoction of the leaves and fruit on your skin and voila!