Include it in your diet to improve your sight and strengthen immunity
It is not without reason that our elders always told us to load up on carrots. Of all of their health benefiting properties, the one related to improving the eyesight was often emphasized upon. But get past that and you start to realise that this root vegetable is an incredible health booster prettily dressed in hues of bright orange, red or even black and purple. The tapering tuber is among the most commonly found vegetables in the markets, and used in making subzis and curries, tossed in chaats and bhel, tipped in Indianised noodles and Manchurians, or to make the all-time favourite Indian desert – gajar ka halwa. As much as we love this veggie in the various preparations, it is said that the best way of having it is in its raw form to make the most of all the essential nutrients that it contains. So apart from tossing it into your salads, enjoy its natural goodness by juicing it up. Trust us; a glass of carrot juice every morning can take you a long way towards good health. Still need more convincing?
Here are seven carrot juice benefits that will get you hooked:
1. Vitamin A Booster Vitamin A plays an important role in eyesight. Red-orange coloured foods such as carrots, pumpkins and melons contain a pigment known as beta-carotene, which is converted into vitamin A when consumed by the body. This then helps in maintaining good eyesight apart from other health benefiting properties. The main symptoms of vitamin A deficiency are vision loss or night blindness, so it is important to consume vitamin A rich foods regularly.
3. Prevents Cancer After the process of digestion, some of the waste particles remain behind in our body, which are known as free radicals and they tend to damage the cells. Eating antioxidant rich foods helps in fighting against these free radicals and thereby preventing the possibilities of the development of cancerous cells. Studies reveal that per 100 grams of carrots contain about 33% Vitamin A, 9% vitamin C and 5% vitamin B-6, which collectively help in the fight against free radicals.
4. Boosts immunity Juicing carrots gives us its concentrated form with all its essential nutrients. Having a glass a day is said to work wonders in boosting immunity. Apart from helping the body against free radical damage, it also protects it against harmful bacteria, viruses and inflammation. Carrot juice also contains various vitamins and minerals such as B6, K, potassium, phosphorous, etc. which contribute to bone health, stronger nervous system and improve brain power.
5. Heart Health In order to maintain a healthy heart, it is essential to be physically active, get adequate amount of sleep and decrease your stress levels. However, all of this must be balanced with a well thought through diet for it to have a positive effect. Carrots, which are loaded with antioxidants and dietary fiber, work towards keeping your heart healthy by removing plaque from the arteries and maintaining blood circulation.
6. For Glowing Skin The presence of antioxidants and essential minerals such as potassium contribute to preventing cell degradation, thereby keeping your skin healthy and young. These nutrients also protect your skin against dryness, improving skin tone and reducing scars and blemishes. This is the reason why you often find carrots being used in natural home remedies for beauty.
Comments7. Maintaining Cholesterol and Blood Sugar Carrot juice works as a miracle in maintaining cholesterol and blood sugar levels, thanks to its potassium content. It is low in calories and sugar content and the essential vitamins and minerals present in it collectively work to prevent diabetes. It also increases bile secretion, which helps in burning fat thus aiding weight loss. It is often recommended as a pre or post workout food for a nutritional boost.