Guavas For Weight Loss: How Do Guavas Help You Shed Kilos
Guavas for Weight Loss: How Do Guavas Help you Shed Kilos
Green, crunchy guavas are back in season and we cant be happier. Freshly cut guavas with a dash of chaat masala can perk up a dull, gloomy day. A host of benefits further makes this fruit a universal favourite.
Green, crunchy guavas are back in season and we can’t be happier. Freshly cut guavas with a dash of chaat masala can perk up a dull, gloomy day. A host of benefits further makes this fruit a universal favourite. Macrobiotic Nutritionist and Health practitioner Shilpa Arora says, “ Guavas are a low GI fruit and do not raise blood sugar levels. It is the best fruit for hormonal imbalances. Diabetics and heart patients can also enjoy this nutrition-packed fruit.
Green, crunchy guavas
Some of the health benefits of Guava, according to Dr. Manoj K. Ahuja, Sukhda Hospital, include:
1. Guavas are extraordinarily rich in vitamin C, lycopene and antioxidants that are beneficial for skin.
2. Guavas are also rich in manganese which helps the body to absorb other key nutrients from the food that we eat.
3. They contain folate, a mineral which helps promote fertility.
4. The potassium in guavas helps normalise blood pressure levels as well. In fact, a banana and a guava contain almost the same amount of potassium.
5. Guavas are good for your skin too as they contain about 80% of water which helps keep your skin hydrated.
Another reason what makes this fleshy and fragrant fruit such a hit in the health and fitness circuit is its immense ability to aid weight loss. What is it about guavas that gives it an edge amongst all its winter counterparts? Lets find out.
Why is Guava ideal for weight loss?
Guavas are packed with proteins, and good quality fibre. Both protein and fibre take long to digest which keeps you full for a longer duration of time and prevent you from bingeing on other fattening foods. The high fibre content of guavas helps regulate your metabolism. Guavas, especially the ones that aren’t fully ripe, have far less sugar as compared to apples, oranges, grapes, and other fruits. Guavas are rich dietary fibre and fulfill about 12% of your daily recommended intake of fibre, making it an excellent fruit for all your tummy woes. Guava eaten or consumed in any form, aids better bowel movement and enhances healthy digestion. A healthy digestion further helps a healthy weight loss.
Guavas are low on calories too. A 100 grams would give about 52 calories and little fat. In fact, guava is an illustrious member of the ‘negative calorie food; family says Shilpa Arora, i.e, guava burns more calories than it actually contains.
How Can You Include More Guava?
Shilpa says that one must increase the intake of guavas to reap its maximum benefits, “Have them at snack or breakfast , add a dash of black salt and squeeze lemon for the body to absorb its nutrients well. “
You can also have them in smoothies, juices, and fruit salads. Here are some interesting recipes you can make using guavas this winter to shed those extra pounds.
1. Guava and Cottage Cheese Salad Recipe by Chef Vikas Khanna Grab hold of some rocket leaves, apples, guavas and paneer and whip yourself an eclectic salad drizzled with a date, tamarind and jaggery dressing.
Comments3. Guava Chutney Recipe by Niru Gupta A sweet and tangy chutney made with the goodness of guavas, lemon, chillies and ginger. A lipsmacking treat.
About Sushmita SenguptaSharing a strong penchant for food, Sushmita loves all things good, cheesy and greasy. Her other favourite pastime activities other than discussing food includes, reading, watching movies and binge-watching TV shows.