Want to learn how to reduce tummy fat? Here are 10 foods that help.
Belly fat is a major concern for many. Not only does it make your figure unattractive, but also increases the risk of developing hypertension, diabetes and heart disease. Recently, Public Health England stated for the first time that belly fat is the clearest sign of type 2 diabetes. Another significant study, published in the Journal Heart, states that having a big belly significantly increases the risk for sudden cardiac death. The most common causes include genetics, hormonal imbalance, physical inactivity and an unhealthy diet.
(Big Belly, Bigger Heart Risk)3. Watermelon: Water melon is the perfect food to cut body fat. It contains 91percent water and acts like a diuretic (that promotes the production of urine), keeps you feel full for longer and helps in clearing water retention.
The ideal way to reduce belly fat is to choose foods wisely and make exercise a daily habit. Here are some of the best foods which help in reducing belly fat –
1. Pineapple: It contains an enzyme called bromelain which has anti-inflammatory properties. This enzyme helps in metabolizing proteins that helps in getting a flatter tummy.
2. Cherries: Studies show that regular intake of cherries helps in lowering symptoms of CVD and metabolic syndrome. Metabolic syndrome increases the risk of belly fat accumulation as well as the risk of heart diseases and diabetes.
4. Avocados: It contains a good amount of monounsaturated fats which are heart healthy fats. It is also packed with fiber which keeps you full for longer and curbs cravings.
5. Green tea: It is rich in antioxidants and helps in boosting up metabolism, thus cutting down the body fat. It is also known to suppress your appetite. (10 Foods that Suppress Your Appetite and Leave You Feeling Full)
6. Apples: They are rich in dietary fiber, flavonoids and beta carotene. All of these help in keeping your belly feel full and prevent overeating. Pectin present in apples helps in weight loss by transforming into a gel like substance that traps dietary cholesterol and fat.
7. Almonds: These contain healthy fats and prevent mid meal cravings. According to a study, published in the American journal of Clinical Nutrition, eating almonds suppresses hunger. (Why Soaked Almonds are Better Than Raw Almonds)
8. Beans and legumes are high in proteins and low calories which help you lose weight and tone up.
9. Green leafy vegetables: Eat lots of green leafy vegetables as are they are low in calories, high in fiber and contain calcium and Vitamin C. Vegetable juices (like spinach juice and celery juice) help in cleansing the body and increase the metabolic rate. (These Leaves Curb Cravings, Aid Weight Loss)
10. Tomatoes: They contain a compound known as 9-oxo-ODA that helps reduce lipids in blood, which in turn helps in controlling belly fat. This compound also fights chronic diseases associated with obesity.
The opinions expressed within this article are the personal opinions of the author. NDTV is not responsible for the accuracy, completeness, suitability, or validity of any information on this article. All information is provided on an as-is basis. The information, facts or opinions appearing in the article do not reflect the views of NDTV and NDTV does not assume any responsibility or liability for the same.