About Dal Kachori Recipe: One of the most loved Indian snacks, Dal kachori is absolutely sensational. Kachoris are deep fried breads made with ground dal sauteed along with spices and filled into a cover of maida and baking powder. This is the most popular road side snack that you'll find across north India, specially parts of Rajasthan. Kachoris have a number of varieties, most popular ones being Khasta kachori and Dal kachori. Super crisp, flaky and utterly delicious, kachoris are the ultimate snack or mid day meal that you just won't be able to resist!Ingredients of Dal Kachori Recipe | Kachodi Recipe
: Arhar dal sauteed with spices and herbs like garam masala, chilli powder, khus khus and coconut and mixed with tamarind and a pinch of sugar. Deep fried in oil, these crispy dal kachoris are perfect for tea-time munchings. Mint chutney can be a perfect companion.
Ingredients of Dal Kachori
- 1/2 Cup arhar ki daal (husked pigeon peas/yellow lentils, soaked for 5-6 hours)
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp jeera (cumin seeds)
- 1 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp heeng (asafoetida) powder
- 2 tsp green chillies
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp khus khus (poppy seeds)
- 2 tbsp tamarind pulp
- 2 tsp sugar
- Garam masala
- For outer covering:
- 1 cup maida (refined flour)
- 3 tbsp ghee/oil
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Oil (for deep frying)
How to Make Dal Kachori
- 1.Drain dal and grind coarsely.
- 2.Heat oil and add jeera. When it splutters, add ginger, heeng, green chillies and saute till the color changes a bit.
- 3.Add dal, salt, garam masala, chilli powder, khus khus, coconut and saute till it's 'fried'. Add about 1/4 cup water and cook till dal is cooked through. Mix in the tamarind and sugar and keep aside.
- 4.Mix baking powder and salt into the maida. Rub ghee/oil into the maida, add water and knead into stiff dough. Rest, cover for 15 minutes.
- 5.Make walnut sized rounds of the dal mixture.
- 6.Break pieces of dough and roll into walnut sized rounds. Roll these flat into 1/4 inch rounds and pinch about 1/2 of the edge all around, leaving the centre thicker.
- 7.Now wet the pressed edges, and place a ball of the filling in the centre. Bring the wet edges together, covering the filling completely, and pinch together to seal.
- 8.Heat oil and deep-fry the kachoris, first over high heat, then over medium heat so that it cook's through, and browns evenly.
Key Ingredients: arhar ki daal (husked pigeon peas/yellow lentils, soaked for 5-6 hours), vegetable oil, jeera (cumin seeds), salt, heeng (asafoetida) powder, green chillies, chilli powder, khus khus (poppy seeds), tamarind pulp, sugar, Ginger, Garam masala, Coconut, maida (refined flour), ghee/oil, baking powder, salt, Oil (for deep frying)