Tired of the same old upma? Let's face it: most of us are bored of eating these "healthy breakfast dishes" every day. But we have to do it, don't we? Well, one idea that can make things better is giving a fresh twist to these dishes. You might have heard of the many ingredients people add to their poha to liven it up. You can do something similar with upma too. There are many varieties of upma that you can try - some don't even use rava! But if you're a fan of classic upma, you should check out our recipe for Coriander Upma. This upma is green in colour, full of flavours and delicious to taste. It is sure to become your new favourite.
(Also Read: Want To Lose Weight? Try This Protein-Rich Poha For Your Next Breakfast)
What is Coriander Upma | Kothmir Upma | Kothamalli Upma?
This upma makes use of rava, just like regular upma. It also contains other common upma ingredients like curry leaves, onions, mustard seeds and cashews. However, what makes this upma stand apart is its green colour and strong coriander flavour. While we generally add chopped coriander while making upma, this recipe also uses the leaves to make a chutney-like paste. This green chutney is then added to the rava and cooked together to make the upma. Sounds tasty, doesn't it? Check out the recipe below:
(Also Read: 5 Easy And Delicious Ways To Make Hari Chutney At Home)
South Indian Breakfast: How To Make Coriander Upma | Quick Kothamalli Upma Recipe
- Blend chopped coriander leaves, green chillies, lemon juice, sugar and salt to make green chutney.
- On medium flame, roast rava, curry leaves, and cashews. Turn off the heat once the rava turns light brown.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and add mustard seeds along with urad dal. Once they crackle, add diced onions, salt, sugar and asafoetida (hing). Saute until the onions turn translucent.
- Add the roasted rava to the kadhai. After 2 minutes, add the green coriander chutney and mix well.
- Pour 2-3 cups of hot water and stir continuously. Squeeze some lemon juice and allow the upma to cook on medium flame.
- Garnish with extra chopped coriander and serve hot.
Click here for the full recipe for Coriander Upma
(Also Read: Brilliant Hack To Remove Coriander Leaves From Stem Gets 147 Million Views)
This unique upma is healthy, yummy and easy to cook. If you already like the flavour of dhaniya, this dish is a new way to enjoy it! Bring some novelty to your breakfast by making this upma tomorrow. For more upma varieties, check out this list of quick upma recipes. Did you buy too much coriander by mistake? Read to know How To Use Excess Coriander (Dhaniya) Leaves To Make Yummy Dishes