Apple is a fruit with multifarious uses and health benefits. Whether you like to eat it raw or toss it in salads, custards, puddings, turn it into pies and cakes, or make curries from it - apples never disappoint. They are great to taste in both sweet and savoury dishes and are chock-full of nutrition. They have a number of health benefits, ranging from regulation of blood sugar and cholesterol to helping you keep your weight in check. This is why consuming apples in the right quantity and manner may help you shed those extra kilos. Although a lot of people know about apple cider vinegar and its weight loss benefits, not many people are aware about the other apple drink that may help you lose weight - apple tea. It's a drink that you can make at home and consume immediately to boost fat burn and effect weight loss.
What Is Apple Tea?
Apple tea is a concoction that is made by boiling apple slices along with black tea leaves and can be spiced with cinnamon and cloves. The tea can be consumed warm or cold and is slightly sweet and flavourful. The drink has a number of health benefits, which make it a great weight loss drink.
(Also Read: Apple For Weight Loss: 4 Ways How The Wonder Fruit Helps Cut Belly Fat)
Apple tea can work wonders for your diet.
Here Are Some Health Benefits Of Apple Tea That Make It Great For Weight Loss:
1. Boosts Immunity: Apple tea contains good amounts of vitamin C, which is seeped out into the boiling water when apple slices are dunked in it. A good immune system is crucial for effective weight loss.
2. Fights Cholesterol: The fibre and antioxidant polyphenols present in apple pulp and the skin may help lower the levels of low density lipoprotein (LDL) or bad cholesterol from the blood and, hence, promote fat burn.
3. Boosts Digestion: A healthy digestive system is linked to better weight loss and apple tea may help boost digestion because apples have good amounts of soluble fibre in them. Soluble fibre is also known to be great for weight loss. Apples also have malic acid, which ensures a healthy digestive system.
4. Regulates Blood Sugar: Apples have natural sugars in the form of fructose, as well as antioxidants, which improve metabolic balance and also regulate levels of blood sugar. It prevents any sudden rise or fall in levels of blood sugar, eliminating the need for you to eat more often.
5. Low In Calories: Apples are negative calorie fruits, which simply means they are very low in calories. A standard-sized apple contains about 50 calories per 100 gm of the fruit, according to United States Department of Agriculture. So, whether you prefer eating them or drinking them in form of teas, apples can help you maintain a low-calorie count.
(Also Read: Does Apple Cider Vinegar Really Cater to Weight Loss? Studies Find Out)
Apple tea for weight loss: It can be consumed warm or cold
Are There Any Side Effects Of Consuming Apple Tea?
Apple tea is a healthy tonic in many ways. Combining the goodness of apple and tea, it is very beneficial if had daily. The nutrients and antioxidants in apple tea far outweigh any negative side effects of the tea. Apple tea does not have any known side effects, but it may cause an allergic reaction in people who are sensitive to the family of fruits that apple belongs to. So, if you are allergic to apple, chances are that apple tea may not go down well with you. But in case there is no allergy as such, you can go ahead and indulge in apple tea!
How To Make Apple Tea For Weight Loss
Apple tea is very easy-to-make and is great for consumption in colder climates. For making apple tea, all you need one whole apple, three cups of water, a tablespoon of lemon juice, two teabags and cinnamon stick or cinnamon powder. Put the water in a deep-bottomed pan and add the lemon juice to it. Put the pan on the flame and then dunk the tea bags in it. While you wait for the tea to boil, chop your apple up in small cubes and then add these to the boiling tea. Make sure your fruit is added to the tea, with the skin on. Let the concoction simmer for about five minutes and finally, add your cinnamon stick or powder to it. Strain the tea out into cups and add a natural sweetener of your choice to it.
You will be left with about a cupful of leftover apples from the tea, which you definitely shouldn't throw out. You can either consume these as is, or you can add them to your fruit custard. The cinnamon in the tea can help detoxify your system and fight inflammation.
Health Benefits of Apple
Apple is touted to be a great fruit for maintaining overall health. An apple a day keeps the doctor away is a saying that is not said without good reasons and research behind it. The number of health benefits to apple keep on increasing by the day, as there are more and more studies done about the health benefits of the humble fruit. These are a few known benefits of consuming apple, whether in the form of tea or even otherwise:
- Good for weight loss
- Lower Heart disease risk
- Regulates blood sugar
- Relieves constipation and diarrhea
- Help maintain a healthy gut
- May help prevent certain kinds of Cancer
- Can lower diabetes risk
- Protects bones
- Reduces cholesterol
- Boosts brain power
- May protect against neurological damage, eg. Alzheimer's.
(Also Read: Diabetes Diet: How To Eat Apples To Manage Blood Sugar)
An apple a day truly does keep the doctor away.
Health Benefits Of Tea
As much as it is loved, tea is a beverage whose health benefits cannot be overlooked. Even though too much of tea may not be advisable, the advantages of having tea far outweighs the supposed risks. Tea is loved in every form that it is consumed, and the health benefits of tea are multifarious. The following are some of the great health benefits of tea:
- Helps increase metabolic rate
- Acts as an antioxidant
- Has anti-inflammatory properties
- Lowers cholesterol and maintains heart-health
- Contains cancer-reducing properties
- Builds strong and healthy bones
- Helps reduce complications from diabetes
- Good for your gut
- Provides immune support
- Potentially prevents onset of arthritis
It's always advisable to consult a certified physician or dietitian before adding this tea to your weight loss diet.