There's nothing better than biting into a big, juicy wedge of fresh watermelon on a hot, summer day! It's an amazing way to replenish the fluid that your body loses on a scorching day. You can blend the sweet pulp into a refreshing drink, or serve it with some honey & yoghurt. Have guests over? Skewer it with feta & top it off with olive tapenade. Give your palate a summer awakening and make the best use of this seasonal melon. Did you know the juicy and delectable fruit may also aid weight loss?! Many of us have harboured many misconceptions about the delicious fruit along the way. For instance, many of us are wary of including watermelons in our weight reduction diet, as we think it is too sweet and may undo all our work out efforts. On the contrary, eating watermelons may, in fact, help you a great deal in your weight loss journey. Having said that, here list of 7 best watermelon recipes like Coconut & Watermelon Ice-Cream, Watermelon Salad, Watermelon Curry, Iced Watermelon Drink, Chilled Watermelon & Beet Soup and many more for you to try and experiment.
Juicy and fleshy watermelons are one reason we are particularly so excited about summers.
Benefits Of Watermelon | Health Benefits Of Eating Watermelon
4. The blush red colour comes from a nutrient called lycopene which is found in red fruits and vegetables. This nutrient is great for your vision and it also promotes heart health.5. Various studies have found that drinking watermelon juice may help relieve muscle soreness.
1. Nutritionists recommend that you should include watermelon in your breakfast meal and it will keep you hydrated throughout the day. This simply stems from the fact that watermelons are 92% water by weight.1. What's lesser known are the other benefits like the fact that it is a negative calorie fruit and tends to burn more calories during digestion than add in. Indulge in this delicious fruit & work your way to that dream body (bye bye belly fat)!3. It's also packed with Vitamin A and C with a modest amount of potassium.
Health Benefits Of Watermelon Seeds
Another thing that you may have avoided up till now is the watermelon seed. Let's face it, we all spot it and discard it. But they are actually packed with vitamins, high in protein & low in cholesterol. When sun-dried, they can be a great snack like melon seeds and flax seeds. They tend to be a cheaper alternative, all you have to do is clean the seeds and let them dry under the sun for about a week before you use them.
(Also read: A Super Seed You Aren't Eating)
Watermelon is packed with vitamin A and C with a modest amount of potassium.
How To Pick A Watermelon | Tips To Pick The Best Variety Of Watermelon
In India, you will find the round, green variety but this may surprise you. In Japan, they sell square watermelons! That's because they stack better. While the watermelon is still small, it is placed in a square glass box and it acquires the shape as it grows. Interesting, isn't it? Back to where we were, these tips and tricks will help you pick the very best variety.
1. Pick it up. It should feel heavy, not hollow, as ripe watermelons have more water.
2. Look for a creamy, yellow spot. Watermelons tend to develop a patch where they are placed on the ground to soak up the sun. When you find it, it means that the fruit is ripe. This is called the 'ground spot'. If this spot is white or greenish it means the fruit may have been picked too early.
3. Tap it and hear the sound. A ripe one will have a deep hollow sound while those that are under-ripe or overripe will sound dull.
4. The watermelon should be uniformly shaped and symmetrical, free from bruises and scars. Press against different spots, it should feel firm.
5. Ripe ones are dark green in colour, they tend to be sweeter. The surface colour should be dull. If it is shiny, it may be unripe.
How To Cut A Watermelon | Tips To Cut Watermelon The Right Way
After washing the rind of the watermelon thoroughly, use a sharp-edged knife and carefully slice off the top and bottom. Then carefully slice down through the centre. Tip: Cut along the dark stripes of the rind, in order to get the seeds on the outside. It is easier to remove the seeds this way. Cut each half into sections. And hold the section with one hand, while removing the juicy pulp from its rind simultaneously. Slice down further into even triangular pieces... and dig in!
We think of watermelon as the stuff of fruit salads or smoothies, but it's also great in savoury curries. We've included the perfect watermelon recipes for kids or the kind that wow guests, but require barely any effort! Get ready to enjoy this summertime staple like never before.
Here Are 7 Best Watermelon Recipes For You To Try:
This watermelon ice-cream is the perfect bright finish to any summer meal! Spruce it up with a papaya sauce, drizzle some balsamic glaze & feast on it after dinner.
Counting calories? This healthy summer salad is perfect for you! Spiked with the sweet-sharp heat of balsamic vinegar, ice-cold cubes of watermelon teamed up with buttery crumbles of feta. For a welcome tanginess, add an extra splash of lime & crunchy pine nuts.
This watermelon salad is perfect for those who are watching their weight.
Infused with watermelon juice, tomato puree and paneer- this masaledar curry is absolutely divine. Top it off with some mango slices & you're good to go!
(Also Read: 10 Best Mango Recipes)
This watermelon recipe can be your surprise dish for lunch parties.
Sweet, tangy and absolutely thirst quenching- a drink you'll want to slurp on all summer long! All you need is 5 ingredients & 15 minutes to cool down with this refreshing summer sipper.
Beat the heat this summer with this cool refreshing watermelon drink.
Beat the heat with our citrus-y recipe! Watermelon and beetroot may seem an unlikely combination, but when you put them together you'll be surprised at how good they taste. Serve chilled on a hot summery day.
Try this interesting soup for a change and impress your guests.
An unconventional yet fresh and healthy concoction of melon, sprouts and watermelon foam.
A perfect side dish for your elaborated lunch or dinner menu.
A quick serving of a refreshing salad with hydrating ingredients. Watermelon cubes, cucumber, tomatoes, lettuce and bell peppers drizzled with a light dressing.
Add this watermelon salad to your weight loss diet and shed kilos naturally.
From watermelon desserts to colourful salads, these recipes show you just how versatile this summer fruit can be.