Recipe Servings: 3
Light and airy souffle topped with flaked almonds and a citrus sauce with orange juice, brandy and orange rind. This almond souffle recipe is a must try.
- 200 ml milk
- 100 gm sugar
- 1 cup ground almonds
- 5 egg yolks
- 30 gm butter
- 3 Tbsp plain flour (maida)
- 5 egg whites
- A pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp flaked almonds
- For the sauce:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 2 Tbsp grated orange rind
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup brandy
How to Make Almond Souffle
- Preheat the oven to 190C.
- In a saucepan heat the milk. When warm stir in sugar and almonds.
- Simmer very gently for 15 minutes. Do not allow boiling. Remove from heat. Cool slightly and beat in egg yolk, flour and butter.
- Beat well by hand or in a blender until the mixture is very smooth.
- In a separate bowl beat egg whites with the salt until they form stiff peaks. Spoon about 1/4 of the egg whites into the custard that you have made and stir well.
- Fold in the rest of the whites.
- Butter 6 souffle cups or glass bowls and spoon the souffle mixture into them.
- If you don't have any ramekins or a large ovenproof dish, use a saucepan or some ovenproof mugs.
- Sprinkle with flaked almonds and bake for 15 minutes until the tops are golden.
- Sauce: In a saucepan combine butter, orange rind, orange juice & corn flour or cornstarch, mix well.
- Simmer, stirring constantly, until sauce begins to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in brandy.
- Spoon sauce over hot souffle and serve at once.
Key Ingredients: milk
, all purpose flour
, orange juice, cornstarch, cognac