Recipe of Himachali Mutton Rara
Recipe Servings: 4
Tomatoes, mutton, masalas and condiments come together to create a heavenly mutton recipe, to be served with hot paratha or rotis.
- 1 kg mutton
- 4 Tbsp mustard oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 3 medium size onions, sliced
- 2 Tbsp chopped garlic
- 2 Tbsp chopped ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp red chilli powder
- 4 chopped green chillies
- 750 gm tomatoes, sliced
- 2 tsp ghee
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- A handful of chopped coriander leaves
- A pinch of sugar
- Salt to taste
For the garam masala:
- 2-3 pieces of mace
- 7-8 cloves
- 1 inch of cinnamon
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 big cardamoms
- 1 big tsp coriander seeds
- 1 big tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp grated nutmeg
How to Make Himachali Mutton Rara
- In a pan, dry roast all the garam masla ingredients except the nutmeg and grind them into a powder.
- Grate some nutmeg into the powder and mix it with the ground spices.
- In a pan heat the mustard oil to smoking point and crackle the cumin seeds.
- Add the chopped onions, garlic and ginger and sauté for about 10 minutes till soft.
- Add turmeric and red chilli powder and give it a good mix.
- Sprinkle a little water and mix in the green chillies.
- Add the tomatoes with salt and sugar to balance the acidity and sourness.
- Cook on a medium flame for 15 - 20 minutes till the tomatoes are soft and broken down and
the oil has risen to the top.
- Now mix in the mutton and brown it for about 20 mins till it is a rich dark brown color and fully
coated with all the spices and aromatics.
- Add ghee for flavour and richness.
- Cover the pan and let the mutton cook in its own juices for about an hour and a half.
- Half way through, sprinkle 1big tsp of the freshly ground garam masala.
- Add a little water from time to time to prevent the ingredients form burning at the base.
- Once the mutton is beautifully tender, add some chopped coriander and juice of 1/2 a lime.
- Stir through and serve hot with paratha or rotis.
Key Ingredients: Mutton
, mustard oil
, green cardamom
, lemon juice
, clarified butter
, red chilli
, cumin seeds
, coriander leaves
, bay leaf
, cardamoms, coriander seeds
, green chillies