Dogri Chicken Masala
Recipe Servings: 4
Aditya sets up his kitchen in a picturesque spot and cooks up some yummy Dogri chicken curry with masalas in abundance that will leave you asking for more.
- For the paste:
- 1 small bunch coriander stems
- 1/2 a knob of ginger
- 2-3 cloves of garlic
- 2 tsp of cumin seeds
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp fennel seeds
For the base:
- 3-4 Tbsp mustard oil
- 5-6 cardamom pods
- 3 big cardamom pods
- 2 sticks of cinnamon
- 6-8 cloves
- A few peppercorns
- 3 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 1 tsp of tikia
- 4-5 tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 a cup of water
- 1 kg chicken cleaned and cut into pieces
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 small bunch of fresh coriander, chopped
- Make a paste with dry roasted coriander stems, ginger, garlic, cumin, coriander seeds and fennel seeds.
- Heat mustard oil in a pan till smoking point.
- To the oil add cardamom pods, bada elaichi, cinnamon, cloves and peppercorns.
- Add the finely chopped onions along with a little sugar to the pan.
- Fry the ingredients till it begins to caramelize.
- Add the herb and spice paste to the pot and combine with the onions.
- Add turmeric powder, red chilli powder an tikia.
- Now add the tomatoes and fry with the rest of the ingredients.
- Season with salt and add a little water.
- Add the chicken pieces to the masala and let all the ingredients fry together.
- Cover the pan for a few minutes and let the chicken cook in its own juices for 20-25 minutes until the meat is tender.
- Add the juice of half a lime to the chicken to bring out all the flavours.
- Top with a handful of chopped coriander leaves.
- Serve the chicken with steamed basmati rice.
Key Ingredients: coriander leaves
, cumin seeds
, coriander seeds
, mustard oil
, black cardamom
, green cardamom
, black pepper
, red chilli
, lemon juice