Chef Vicky Ratnani shares the recipe of a delicious evening snack that is sure to please all. Fried risotto balls served with two types of sauce, roasted tomato and blue cheese sauce.
- 150 gm pumpkin wedge with peel
- 50-60 gm Arborio rice
- A few thyme leaves
- 1/2 a medium onion, chopped
- 1 tsp celery, chopped
- 1 tsp leeks, chopped
- 40-50 ml of vegetable stock
- Oil for deep frying
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Salt to Season
- 1-2 tsp saffron water
- 1-2 sage leaves
- 1 Tbsp grated Parmesan cheese
For the Batter:
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 30-40 ml milk
- Pinch of salt
- Panko breadcrumbs for coating the balls
For the Sauce:
- 1 medium onion, halved
- 4 medium sized tomatoes
- 2 green chillies
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 2-3 a tsp of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to season
For the Blue Cheese Creme:
- 50 gm blue cheese
- 60 ml milk
How to Make Risotto Balls with Pumpkin
- To roast the pumpkin, season it with salt, pepper, thyme and 1/2 a teaspoon of olive oil.
- Wrap it in foil and bake in the oven for 15 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
- Peel the pumpkin after roasting and cut into chunks.
- In a heavy bottomed pan, add oil to heat.
- To this add onions, leeks and celery and saute on a medium flame for a few minutes.
- Add the roasted pumpkin and Arborio rice and mix well so that all the juices coat the rice.
- Add lime juice to de-glaze the risotto.
- Add the stock slowly, one ladle at a time until the rice is thick and creamy.
- Drizzle some saffron water into the pan, Mix in the sage leaves and parmesan cheese to the simmering risotto.
Cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the risotto into a flat bottomed container and refrigerate for an hour or until set.
- Make balls with the cold risotto and keep aside.
- In another bowl add 2 tablespoons of flour, milk and whisk with a little salt.
- Dip the risotto balls in the batter and then the bread crumbs.
- Deep fry the risotto in hot oil until golden brown, this should take around 5-8 minutes.
- Fry a few thyme and sage leaves in the fryer.
For the Sauce:
- Season the onions and tomatoes with olive oil, salt and pepper and chillies.
- Grill them them for a few minutes till charred.
- In a blender add the charred onions, peeled tomatoes, chillies, garlic, 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt and pepper to taste and blend into a nice thick sauce. Keep aside
For the Blue Cheese Sauce:
- Cook the blue cheese with the milk on a low flame until the cheese completely melts into a light sauce.
- Serve the risotto balls on a bed of the roasted tomato sauce and a drizzle of the blue cheese sauce on top.
- Garnish with crispy fried sage and thyme leaves.
- Serve hot.
Key Ingredients: Pumpkin
, blue cheese
, black pepper
, green chillies
, Arborio rice
, vegetable Oil
, Lemon juice
, Parmesan Cheese
, Tomatoes, Green Chilli, Garlic
, Olive Oil