Twice Baked Baby Eggplant
Baby eggplants filled with a delectable mixture of onions, spices, tomato and cheese, baked twice.
- 4-5 eggplants
- 1 big clove garlic (minced)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 small green chilly
- Few sprigs thyme
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1 chopped tomato
- Few mint leaves
- 1 pinch jeera
- Dash of white wine vinegar
- 5 chunks mozzarella
- Pre-heat oven to 180 to 190 degrees.
- Score and slice the eggplant into halves, make some pores in the eggplant with a knife and put them in a bowl of salted water for about 10 minutes. (This helps in removing the bitterness)
- Remove the eggplants from the water and pat dry.
- Place the eggplants in a baking tray. Drizzle some olive oil over it.
- Sprinkle some salt and pepper and thyme leaves.
- Give it a little mix and pop in the oven for 6 minutes at 200 C.
- While the eggplants are baking, chop up the garlic.
- Heat up some olive oil in a pan and saute the chopped onions, garlic and green chilly.
- Add the diced tomato to the sauteed onions and cook well.
- Add a touch of salt and pepper. Add a few mint leaves. Put some jeera powder and white wine vinegar and give it a good mix.
- Transfer this mixture into a bowl.
- Once the eggplants are done, remove them from the oven and top with the tomato mixture and some chunks of buffalo mozzarella.
- Put a few leaves of oregano on the top of the eggplant and cheese.
- Put it back in the oven one more time for 4 minutes.
- You can also grill in the microwave for a few minutes.
- Remove from the oven put in a nice plate and garnish with some mint leaves and serve.
Key Ingredients: eggplant
, olive oil
, green chillies
, black pepper
, mint leaves
, cumin seeds
, mozzarella cheese