Baked Herb Crepes Recipe
Recipe Servings: 4
These savory spinach and ricotta cheese crepes are a show stealer at the brunch table. Covered with tomato puree, these crepes are baked and are amazing to eat!
Ingredients of Baked Herb Crepes
- 4 Tbsp chopped fresh herbs of your choice
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, plus extra for frying
- 75 ml milk
- 3 eggs
- 30 gm plain flour
- Pinch of salt
- Sunflower oil, for greasing
For the Sauce:
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 400 gm can chopped tomatoes
- Pinch of light brown sugar
For the Filling:
- 450 gm fresh spinach, cooked
- 80 gm ricotta cheese
- 60 gm pine nuts, toasted
- 5 sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained and chopped
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil
- Ground pepper
- 4 egg whites
How to Make Baked Herb Crepes
- To make the crepes, place the herbs and oil in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the milk, eggs, flour, and salt and process again. Leave to rest for 30 minutes. Heat a small frying pan and add a little oil.
- Add a ladle full of batter. Swirl around to cover the base.
- Cook for 2 minutes, turn and cook for 2 minutes.
To Make The Sauce:
- Heat the oil in a pan, add the onion and garlic and cook gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and sugar and cook for about 10 minutes, or until thickened. Puree in a blender, then sieve and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375F.
- To Make the Filling:
- Mix the spinach with the ricotta, pine nuts, tomatoes, and basil.
- Season with salt, nutmeg, and pepper. Whisk the egg whites until stiff. Fold one-third into the mixture, and then gently fold in the rest.
- Place one crepe at a time on a lightly oiled baking sheet, add a spoonful of filling and fold into quarters.
- Bake for 12 minutes until set. Reheat the sauce and serve with the crepes.
Key Ingredients: olive oil
, condensed milk
, all purpose flour
, brown sugar
, mascerpone cheese, pine nuts