Zen Soup Recipe
Make a super healthy vegetable Zen Soup. It's rich and delicious! Eat it cold on a summer afternoon or warm on a winter's night and it will keep you going.
Ingredients of Zen Soup
- 1 Tbsp sesame oil
- 3-4 chopped or diced button mushrooms
- 1/2 a medium bottle gourd, chopped
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 4 baby corn, sliced
- 1/2 red and yellow bell peppers, chopped into cubes
- 1/2 a bok choy, chopped
- 2 shallots/madras onions, chopped
- 2 small eggplants, sliced
- 2-3 small onions, chopped
- 3-4 shitake or oyster mushrooms, chopped
- 1 Tbsp red curry paste
- 1 tsp curry powder or according to taste
- 1 Tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 150 ml coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cups fresh Chinese wheat based noodles or about 3 oz dried thin wheat based noodles
Toppings and garnishes:
- 1 cup bean sprouts / chowli sprouts
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnish
- Chopped spring onion for garnish
- Crushed peanuts for garnish
How to Make Zen Soup
- Heat a large wok with oil. Add button mushroom, eggplant, bell peppers, shallots bottle gourd, baby corn and carrot and cook on high for about 2 minutes.
- Then add curry paste and curry powder. Toss to coat the vegetables. Add light soy sauce and cook about 30 seconds so the vegetables absorb the liquid.
- Then add dark soy sauce, brown sugar, lime juice and coconut milk. Let the curry simmer for about 2 minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Add chopped coriander and mix all the ingredients well. Slowly pour the in the coconut milk and let it simmer for a few minutes. Do not boil.
- Lastly add the bok choy.
- Then pour in water and bring back to a simmer. Taste curry and adjust soy sauce, and sugar to taste.
- Bring a large pot full of water to boil noodles. If using dried noodles, cook in boiling water till noodles are very al dente. No matter what noodles you use, make sure not to overcook them.
- Drain well.
- Add cooked noodles and bean sprouts to the curry broth.
- Serve the noodle soup with crushed peanuts, scallions, chopped coriander and bean sprouts.
Key Ingredients: Shiitake mushroom
, lemon juice
, bok choy
, bell pepper
, sesame oil
, black pepper
, coriander leaves
, bean sprouts
, spring onion
, soya sauce
, baby corn
, bottle gourd
, coconut milk
, brown sugar